SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2018, 05:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
submarineshop.com" width="230" height="32
11073 Posts in 1378 Topics by 183 Members
Latest Member: Quirrely
* Home Help Search Calendar Personal Messages Members Login Register
+  SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG Forum
|-+  Recent Posts
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

on: February 02, 2018, 10:34:23 AM 
Started by pekelney - Last post by Jay Boggess
For what its worth, I remember from the U-505 tour booklet from 40 years ago that they had the capability for arc-welding via equipment in the motor room.

Jay Boggess

on: January 22, 2018, 05:28:16 PM 
Started by pekelney - Last post by Jim
I'm sure it must have been "submerged arc"..........Ba dum bump.... Grin

on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:41 AM 
Started by pekelney - Last post by Darrin
Rich,

I honestly have no idea what kind of welding equipment that they carried and honestly I can't remember what we carried on the USS Honolulu SSN 718 from '91-'94 when I was onboard her.

Darrin

on: January 20, 2018, 01:30:28 AM 
Started by pekelney - Last post by Darrin
Rich,

I am pretty sure that the Torsk doesn't have her original block and tackle onboard anymore, they may however have a better copy of the drawing that you posted the link for.

Honestly I don't have any idea how much they are onboard her anymore, you may want to post over on the bbs and see if they can help out. www.usstorsk.org

Darrin

on: December 19, 2017, 10:58:38 PM 
Started by pekelney - Last post by pekelney
Do any of the museum boats have an original set of the block and tackle used on the davit above crew's mess hatch that could be measured?  I *think* this is:
- 2" circ.(5/8") manila line, length?
- 8" wood  block with swivel, to mount with shackle on top, with becket on bottom
- 8" wood swivel hook double block
- rope thimble for the line

Do any of you have the withdrawing/loading lines for the torpedo tubes?
- 8" snatch block with swivel hook
- hook with 90 deg. turn to hook on torpedo tube
- ?? diam. manila line
- thimble for the line
hard to read, but check out:
https://maritime.org/tech/drawings/torpedo-handling-lines_basic486890_5400-03-0116.jpg

rich

on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:57 AM 
Started by Lance Dean - Last post by Lance Dean
I am glad to see the forum back up.
Thanx for for effort you put in to create the site and keeping it running.

Thank ya Drew. I don't know what happened exactly but somewhere the link between the forum and the database got lost. What a mess.

on: December 06, 2017, 08:00:01 PM 
Started by Lance Dean - Last post by drew
I am glad to see the forum back up.
Thanx for for effort you put in to create the site and keeping it running.

on: December 06, 2017, 10:23:35 AM 
Started by Lance Dean - Last post by Lance Dean
Guys, the database here had some issues. I think I finally figured it out. Let me know if you have problems of any kind!

on: November 06, 2017, 02:10:52 PM 
Started by Mike - Last post by Mike
So, thanks to Lance and Rich, I was reminded of the wonderful contributions here and realized that, in my now-completed academic rush, I neglected to follow up with posting some of my assignments here.

I love the feedback I have received form what I have posted thus far, and I thank you folks for your consideration and support in what I have shared so far. Rather than copying directly from my blog, I shall provide the links and a brief comment on what I have written and why these things are relevant to this audience. Feel free to comment as necessary...

https://milsurpwriter.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/soviet-shipping-and-american-subs-a-look-at-fratricide/
I briefly touched on the topic of Soviet shipping losses due to American subs in my most recent post. In answering a question about little-known facts about the Second World War, I considered sharing the tale of the Pampanito's repairs on her third patrol (one of my favorites), but I realized I hadn't expanded upon this particular aspect of the war in previous studies/writing.

https://milsurpwriter.wordpress.com/2017/06/26/influences-of-interwar-doctrine-and-training-on-the-successes-of-u-s-submarines-in-the-pacific-theater-of-operations-during-the-second-world-war/
This was my thesis and the big assignment. There was much I felt that I could expand upon further, but I had to limit the size to fit the maximum allowable page limit. I could pair it down a bit for submission to USNI's Proceedings, but so far the idea is problematic due to my concerns of losing critical parts of the story. We shall see.

https://milsurpwriter.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/deception-and-death-linking-a-submarine-to-the-battle-of-kursk/
The title is a bit of a stretch - directly tying the HMS Seraph to the Battle of Kursk may be reaching too far, but I love unconventional stories and this fit that fascination well. This may prove to be a way to generate interest in the new audiences - by pushing the limits of common understanding of history as well as illustrating the human aspect of it.

https://milsurpwriter.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/a-work-in-progress/
The study of history, for most people, is the review of months or years of research, but there is often little description of the motivations and process behind cultivating that history. In looking back, I probably could have documented my process a bit better for this purpose, but it would more than likely have become repetitive for the audience. There is much more on the behind-the-scenes aspect of what draws us to research, curate, and interpret this segment of history, and I think developing this story better would inspire the next generation of historians - something that really needs to be considered in this day of controversy and caution when it comes to the past.

I came to this page at the beginning of my academic career with a couple of key questions. Now, that degree is complete... but the connection to this site and the people within it will never be forgotten. Thanks for the support and feedback and I look forward to continuing on with the discussions and banter when everyone's respective orbits return them here to see if folks are still posting.

Have a great day!

on: November 06, 2017, 01:32:54 PM 
Started by pekelney - Last post by Mike
lol...
Since he asked this question, I have been mulling it over every time I see a picture of a sub... which is a lot, considering they constitute my desktop wallpaper and login screen.

I wish I had an answer for Rich - there is nothing more I'd like to be than a "positive contributor" to problems like this one. However, pretty much everything lead I follow ends up to a document posted by none other than Rich... and as before, my time frequently gets consumed with reading all sorts of fascinating facts about the sanitary system or starting procedures for the diesels. Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10