Author Topic: Doesn't look good...  (Read 23265 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Doesn't look good...
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-submarine-20160609-snap-story.html

June 6, 2016
The Scorpion patrolled the Pacific Ocean for 22 years as an attack submarine of the Soviet navy.

But now the boat is an aging tourist attraction, docked adjacent to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, and its owner claims that the sub is rusting away because the leaseholders of the Queen Mary have refused to maintain the vessel as required under a management agreement.

The submarine’s owner, California-based NewCo Pty Ltd., filed a lawsuit this week naming several previous and current leaseholders of the Queen Mary, the former ocean liner turned into a boutique hotel. The suit asks for $10 million to repair the damage caused to the 45-year-old submarine.

The city of Long Beach owns the Queen Mary but leases the ship and the adjacent land to operate as a tourist attraction.

Urban Commons, a Los Angeles-based real estate and development company that took over the Queen Mary lease in April, said it was looking into the allegations made in the lawsuit.

“While we do not have any involvement with the vessel, we are looking into the matter," the company said in a statement.

The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, notes that the lease for the Queen Mary and the Scorpion has changed hands several times over the past two decades.

But the lawsuit targets a previous leaseholder, the Garrison Investment Group, saying it had agreed  to pay the owner of the Scorpion $200,000 a year in rent and maintenance costs. The suit contends that Garrison neglected the submarine since 2011 in hopes that the repairs would be so extensive that Garrison could terminate the lease.

A Garrison representative declined to comment.

In addition to rust, grime and peeling paint, the Scorpion is also infested with raccoons, according to the lawsuit. Last June, the neglect caused the submarine to list to the port side, forcing it to close to tourists, the lawsuit claims.

Urban Commons has big plans for the marine complex that could include a $250-million entertainment and retail area with a giant Ferris wheel. The company is working with a task force to come up with ideas for developing the 45 acres surrounding the Queen Mary, now mostly parking lots, as well as for events that will attract more visitors to the area.

Offline MilitaryAttractions

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't look good...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:29 AM »
Any more news about this sub?  I stayed on the Queen Mary while on vacation a couple months back.  I asked one of the Queen Mary tour guides what the situation was and they told me the sub had a crack in the hull, and that if it's buoyancy were to shift it could sink.  I forgot exactly why but he told me the sub couldn't be lifted out nor could it be towed out without spending big money.  Really hoping somehow it can be rescued.  I'd hate to see yet another Russian sub scrapped.  :-[

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
Any more news about this sub?  I stayed on the Queen Mary while on vacation a couple months back.  I asked one of the Queen Mary tour guides what the situation was and they told me the sub had a crack in the hull, and that if it's buoyancy were to shift it could sink.  I forgot exactly why but he told me the sub couldn't be lifted out nor could it be towed out without spending big money.  Really hoping somehow it can be rescued.  I'd hate to see yet another Russian sub scrapped.  :-[

I'm curious about its fate as well. It's disappeared from any news updates on the web. I assumed it would be towed and reefed, but sounds like it may just rust away in place.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website

Offline MilitaryAttractions

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »
http://www.presstelegram.com/business/20170325/scorpion-submarine-near-queen-mary-in-long-beach-snarled-in-lawsuit-disrepair

Not good!

Yikes not good at all!  Wonder how they were able to estimate it would need $10 million in repairs to get it fixed.  My advice to anyone reading this is go see the B-39 in San Diego ASAP if you'd like to see the inside of a Foxtrot sub without leaving the country.  I was there back in Jan of this year and its condition was looking pretty neglected as well.