Author Topic: Video of my papaw talking about his WWII submarine experiences  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Video of my papaw talking about his WWII submarine experiences
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »
A while back I converted a VHS tape to digital that contained 45 minutes of my papaw talking about his WWII days.  He commissioned the USS Sandlance, stayed on Midway Island for a while, did a couple of war patrols on the USS Tambor, and decommissioned the USS Tambor.

There are 6 videos that total around 45 minutes.  I can only say I wish I had more.  He passed away in 1997 with me not knowing anything about submarines.

http://www.youtube.com/snakeyez77

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Video of my papaw talking about his WWII submarine experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »
Those are some great videos you have Lance. Even if it is just 45 minutes at least it is something. At the Batfish they have tons of VHS videos on ceremonies, and interviews with the subvets, but no one has the technology to turn it into dvd, it really sucks.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »
Well, I made those the hard way.  I have a VCR/DVDrecorder combo.  I dubbed the VHS tape straight to DVD.  Then I ripped the DVD to my hard drive.  Then I took the video file and edited out a few minutes of unnecessary video (where I came through the room and told my papaw "bye", I was leaving to go out on a date!).  Then I used Windows Movie Maker to encode the video and break it up into 6 smaller videos so I could place it on YouTube.com.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:55:41 PM »
Wow! Sounds like alot of work.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:28:56 PM »
I have a plextor unit that allows me to take VHS, cassettes, etc and run them through that directly into the computer, where I can save it and also edit and put music, subtitles, that type of thing on it and make DVD or CDVDS out of them. They aren't very expensive. Might be worth getting one for the Batfish and converting all the old ones before they go bad. I think they have one that retails for around $70.
bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 12:53:01 AM »
I will look into that for them, since the Batfish museum does not get that much money to spend on stuff like that.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 12:57:05 AM »
 I bought mine several years ago and the price was quite a bit higher, but I had several hundred  VCR tapes that were going bad from sitting, so was worth it. I also used it to take old music cassettes and put them on CDs by running them through the computer. Will also take the older video cams that use tapes and convert them to DVDs or CDVDs. If you have less than an hour on something, you can just use a CD and put it on that.
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
Sounds like a great deal.