Author Topic: Naval Ships Technical Manual Chapter 233  (Read 8092 times)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Naval Ships Technical Manual Chapter 233
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
Anyone have an electronic copy or spare paper copy of Naval Ships Technical Manual Chapter 233 - Diesel Engines?  Looking for cooling system maintenance and lube oil requirements.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Naval Ships Technical Manual Chapter 233
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
Is there anything on the HNSA website?  You have FMs on TORSK, so maybe whoever is currently running SIILVERSIDES might have the data... or the PAMPANITO crew.  Good luck...   if you need info on GMs, we might be able to help.   :smitten:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:01 PM »
Thanks, Paul.  I try them out.

Mike

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
Chief,

The cooling requirements and the lube oil requirements are in the FM manuals under the servicing section. I think I wrote them down when I had the book at my house, will look at it next weekend when I get home

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »
Thanks, Darrin.  I had a chat with the Navy's Fairbanks Morse rep.  He highly recommended we check the cooling system for corrosion inhibitor, flush the system, refill it with fresh water and inhibitor, and circulate the coolant frequently.  So, I am going to hand-over-hand the system to locate a place to tap in an external pump and sampling line.  It won't be quick, but once we get restored from the shipyard, I plan to get on it.  The Faibanks Morse guy gave me a service bulletin with the FM recommendations for rust inhibitor and and circulation of layed up diesels.  Unless the FM tech manual and Naval Ships Tech Manual say otherwise, I'll probably stick with the recommendations in the service bulletin.  The plan now is to do #1 and #2 simultaneously.  Lot's of work.  We'll also be cleaning things up below and re-installing the thermometers and checking the pressure gauges and other temperature sensors in the cooling systems.  I'll be checking out the sea water system also to see what all needs to be done to get it functional.  Maybe after finishing th ecooling water systems, I'll check out lube oil.  Why the heck is an ET doing this?  There is no relationship between ET and EN other than the first letter!   :idiot2:

Mike