Author Topic: Torsk Decommissioning Skipper Crosses the Bar  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Earl

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Torsk Decommissioning Skipper Crosses the Bar
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
Since I hadn't seen it mentioned, I thought I'd throw this here for the record.

CAPT Joseph DiGiacomo, USN (Ret), 81, was born in Vandergrift, Pa. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1953 and commanded submarines and later had a second career in defense contracting. He died of a heart ailment May 16 at an assisted living facility in Rockford, Ill. He had moved to Illinois from Alexandria a few years ago.

CAPT DiGiacomo served in the Navy for 23 years and had sea assignments aboard eight submarines. He was the commanding officer of the USS Torsk in 1968 when it was decommissioned. Today, the submarine is on display in the Baltimore Inner Harbor. He retired from the Navy in 1976 as a nuclear warfare concepts coordinator in the office of the chief of naval operations. He then joined SAIC, where he worked on cruise missile development. Later, he was a business manager with SAI Technology.

His wife, Regina Kearns DiGiacomo, died in 2002. Their son, Joseph G. DiGiacomo, died in 1986. Survivors include a daughter, Anne Bent of Roscoe, Ill.; a brother; and four grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to Bickford House Assisted Living, 960 N. Mulford Road, Rockford, IL 61107.

SOURCE: http://www.navalsubleague.com/NSL/subnews/upload/07-01-2011.htm#c