Author Topic: U.S. Navy Needs Diesel Submarines  (Read 5645 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
U.S. Navy Needs Diesel Submarines
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »
Interesting article...

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=6792065&c=FEA&s=COM

Diesel subs are smaller, stealthier and more maneuverable in tight spaces than nuclear submarines. For example, unlike a nuclear submarine's power plant, a diesel's primary engine can be turned off when submerged, reducing noise emission. Indeed, unlike a nuclear-powered submarine, a modern diesel can hide on the ocean's floor, deadly silent, while monitoring whatever passes over and around
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: U.S. Navy Needs Diesel Submarines
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »
I agree, but it'll never happen.  So many other countries have NICE diesel subs.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. Navy Needs Diesel Submarines
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »
Finally diesels get some good recongition..and lance is right...my question is..didnt they convert subs from diesels to nuclear to save feul..or was it for another reason....
and also..alot of countrys have NICE DIESELS..and some COUNTRYS have old diesels as well...like the razorback was in turkish navy till 2001..
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian