Author Topic: BOY SCOUTS AND OTHER EVENTS  (Read 7468 times)

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
BOY SCOUTS AND OTHER EVENTS
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
Most all of the museums have a variety of ongoing events such as educational programs, group events and sleepover nights, anniversary dates, various crew reunions, memorial services , holiday events, etc.  Being an old time Scout, one event I always look forward to at the Cobia is the overnight program with the Boy Scouts aboard.  The Cobia Amateur Radio Club often gives the scouts a slide show presentation, and a short trainnig session on radio operations to help them with their merit badge requirements, and finally an opportunity to talk to other Hams on the air live from the Submarine.  We also give then a certificate as an honorary crew member of the Cobia.  Some of my Museum Ship friends;  like the aircraft carriers Lexington and Yorktown do this same thing on an ongoing basis.  They often have 100 or so scouts on a sleep over or scout jamboree.  I tell them no way to get a hundred scouts on a submarine unless it is a V Boat.  We get only 25 or so at one time.  We may not be the biggest but we strive to be the best.  I will try to put several attachments to show what a great group the present day Boy Scouts represent.  I will call your attention to the photo of the scouts on deck doing a hand salute while the flag was being raised.  About half way up the ropes got tangled, and those scouts held their salute for a good 3 to 4 minutes, while the rope got untangled.  If the files get too large for my dial up connection I will do a couple of posts.  Just my way of adding a little diversity to the forum.  If you feel this sort of post has any merit let me know.
K0EFV          
Tom USMC

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
Re: BOY SCOUTS AND OTHER EVENTS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
Two more photos
K0EFV
Tom USMC

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:51:30 AM »
Like you said, sleepovers are an important part of many of the memorial subs. And it is nice to see positive news regarding the Scout visits. It balances the stories I have heard from other subs and carriers about how much trouble the can be when not managed properly. I literally heard from the former ship manager of the USS YORKTOWN that he wanted to lock scouts in a room and let them suffocate!!!  Well, there is someone with "issues!"

Regarding the boy in the wheel chair... Did he get below?   I've carried a few wheelchair riders below in COD (no stairs, vertical ladders)... but if the spirit is willing!

Paul
 :crazy2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:26:42 AM »
Sleep overs can be trying at times. Last week a young man somehow clogged the head. Their little hand prints everywhere. For the most part no damage done. However, the BMM has a employee stay on the Torsk overnight and she sees to it that things are cleaned up and swept as needed. Most times the kids will police the area.  Sleep overs are good revenue generators.     
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:08 AM »
Paul:
Yes sometimes one wonders why we do these things, but then some event happens to make it all worth while.  Yes the boy in the photo was aboard but when time for picture taking came they were in a hurry to depart and I just couldn't let the moment pass by.  We have been fortunate to have a Marine Drill Sgt type handle the scouts.  He lines them up at attention reads them their do's and don'ts.  I am usually more impressed with the Scout Leaders. I suppose that comes with their dedication.  Thanks for all you guys do for scouting, and thanks for the reply
K0EFV 
Tom USMC