Author Topic: First post here  (Read 6465 times)

Offline JDM

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
    • Fleetboatsim.com
First post here
« on: October 22, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
Ahoy. J.D. here. I'm 3rd gen Navy (did 6 yrs) and currently a N. Texas resident. Originally I'm from West Texas. I've been a submarine simulator fan/player since they first became practical (almost as long as PCs became practical). I'm also a member of the submarine simulator community SUBSIM.COM and have recently created my own website: www.fleetboatsim.com.

Being 49 and a former airdale (ASW P-3, AT3) I'm a bit of a late bloomer as a diesel sub fan beyond playing the sims but it appears I've caught the bug. You guys are doing a fantastic job taking care of and representing U.S.S. Batfish. I'm already thinking of dragging my newlywed bride up for a visit (thank COD she is supportive .... even willing to participate).

Anyway, this is just a short hi/intro. I'll be back to catch up on old posts so my questions won't be too repetative. Any Silent Hunter 4 players here?
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." - JFK

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: First post here
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
Welcome J.D.!  I do believe there are a few Silent Hunter4 players here.  I love to play it, but I haven't played a campaign in over 2 years now.  I'll have to get back into it all soon.

Thanks for joining up and be sure to let me know if you have any trouble with the site!

Offline JDM

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Fleetboatsim.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:50:05 PM »
Thanks, L.D. Skimming the threads it seems I'm not the first to daydream about integrating the game to the boat in order to provide some more immersion for BLH and visitors alike. Wish I was twenty years younger. I'd enlist as a youngster and work my way up the ranks. I'm tempted to see how many of my SUBSIM friends live close enough to Muskogee to consider the possibility.

I'm also tempted to come take detailed pics and measurements of the conning tower to see if a portable scale mockup may be possible to take to various reenactment events. I dream ridiculously big at times.
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." - JFK

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
We have the original Ships Plans for the boat.  So, you could recreate just about anything that you like. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JDM

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Fleetboatsim.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
We have the original Ships Plans for the boat.  So, you could recreate just about anything that you like. 

Terrific. It'd hafta be light weight and in segments for ease of transportation but I don't want to get ahead of myself. My personal fabrication skills are next to none currently but I'd be willing to learn.