SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 08:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Find us on Facebook width="200" height="50
11075 Posts in 1379 Topics by 184 Members
Latest Member: SonofaClamagoreVet
* Home Help Search Calendar Personal Messages Members Login Register
+  SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG Forum
|-+  Individual Submarine Boards
| |-+  USS Batfish (SS-310)
| | |-+  What's the likelihood ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the likelihood ...  (Read 4053 times)
JDM
Seaman Apprentice

Total BZs: 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »

What's the likelyhood of throwing a luau and dance at the Batfish? I posted to one of my SubSim brethren but instead of getting too far ahead of myself I figured I'd better repost here and see if this would either be welcome or could practically float:

Me (known as 'Arlo' on that forum) to 'Sailor Steve'

"What I'd really like to do is arrange a large SubSim meet closer to here, though. I thought the Batfish would be a perfect backdrop and we have a singing group here in the DFW area known as 'The New Andrews Sisters' that love to perform at reenactments and WWII reunions. Dunno what they charge but they're into it. I'm picturing luau and dance with whatever facility near the sub that can kinda fake a 'Grand Hawaiian' setting.

Yeah, as usual, I think in grandiose terms."

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." - JFK
Mark Sarsfield
Former USS Batfish Volunteer
Chief Petty Officer

Total BZs: 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »

Sounds feasible.  One of our BLHA crew members coordinated the Batfish's first benefit concert last May.  So, a luau wouldn't be too much different.  You need to coordinate with the museum manager, Rick Dennis, at a minimum... ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net.  Depending on the time of year, as number of BLHA crewmen would probably attend, as well.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy
JDM
Seaman Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:44 PM »

Sounds feasible.  One of our BLHA crew members coordinated the Batfish's first benefit concert last May.  So, a luau wouldn't be too much different.  You need to coordinate with the museum manager, Rick Dennis, at a minimum... ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net.  Depending on the time of year, as number of BLHA crewmen would probably attend, as well.

Was hoping the BLHA would be a part of this. I was thinking of it being along the lines of an immersive living history kind of thing, as well. I'll drop Mr. Dennis a request.

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." - JFK
Ctwilley
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Total BZs: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »

Hmmm, let me know what you come up with. This might be kind of fun.
JDM
Seaman Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »

Hmmm, let me know what you come up with. This might be kind of fun.

Aye Aye, Skipper.  Smiley

Ctwilley
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Total BZs: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »

Is there a date that you have in mind? Email me at ctwilley@okhistory.org and we'll discuss this further.
JDM
Seaman Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

I've made an initial inquiry with the rest of the SubSim forum with requests or recommendations of suitable dates and I'm thinking the holidays are somewhat responsible for lack of response. I'll be following it up today or tomorrow with recommendations of my own (April through June based on the other events in Muskogee - either to compliment or to avoid stepping on toes. The whole point is to get as many potential visitors coinciding.

I'll email you as soon as I get more of a response (or even if this idea seems to be floundering - fingers crossed, though. I surely figure it has both potential and merit).

- Jay

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: