Author Topic: Tank Level Gauges  (Read 5148 times)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Tank Level Gauges
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
Level/weight gauges are installed on a number of tanks including several trim tanks and the lube oil storage tanks.  Anyone know how they work? 

Offline Earl

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Level Gauges
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
Chief - are we talking liquid levels in the tanks? Similar to fuel gauges?

I can't imagine they're direct-connect floating ball gauges - maybe pressure in the tanks reflects in the gauge reading?

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
I don't think they are float type gauges.  There is one for the Safety Tank in Control and there is one for Lube Oil Storage Tanks 1 and 2 in FERUL port outboard.  There is one for Lube Oli Storage Tank #3 in AERUL also.  To be pressure gauges, the tanks would have to be pressurized with air. I have found no valves that would indicate this, but who knows?

Offline Earl

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »
The only thing I can figure so far is that they might be weight/displacement gauges, since you'd have to have some way (esp. with the trim tanks) to adjust them for trim compensation, right? You'd have to have some way of measuring the weight of what's in there... I'm guessing here, but I've got nothing better at the moment.

Offline pekelney

• Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »
If you are talking about the liquidometer guages I have a manual.  The trick is that the floats are filled with oil, not air or water.

rich