Author Topic: Torsk is fine. Any word on Ling, Becuna, Growler and Lionfish?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Torsk is fine. Any word on Ling, Becuna, Growler and Lionfish?
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
Ling, Growler and Lionfish, in particular, were in high wind zones.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:38:56 PM by Evil Tracey of Torsk »

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Torsk is fine. Any word on Ling, Becuna, Growler and Lionfish?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
Yes, I was wondering about those boats too, but hell this damn storm damaged USS COD!!!  I went to the boat on Monday at 5 p.m. to find significant damange to our ticket booth (tore away the side curtains on the vinyl awning behind the ticket booth (dummy me left the north and west curtain walls down on Sunday, not knowing the winds were to be this powerful this far inland!) and storm door to the booth was torn completely away (held to the booth only by the wind chain, until I chopped it away to prevent it from being slammed through the glass window in the main door!)  and my hands were frozen in just 15 minutes working in that hell!)...

COD was moved about two feet forward and her fenders were under maximum compression... a few drops of water under the AER and ATR hatches (we need to dog the hatches down fully and look into renewing the rubber gaskets)...  the 1-deg list from unusually low water in the last month is all gone!  COD was bumping and rolling quite a bit today, according to our head shipkeeper.  The two portajohns are now horizontal and there is a mysterious crumpled aluminum structure in our parking lot... could that be LING?
 :uglystupid2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
I'd heard Cleveland got some wind, I had no idea it was that significant.  

I think being tucked behind the Baltimore Aquarium helps Torsk during most weather 'events'.

I remember the moorings between CROAKER and this ship it's next to being fairly formidable. 

I hope our colleagues from these other vessels check in.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:43:25 PM by Evil Tracey of Torsk »

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Torsk weathered the storm.  We'll be down on Saturday.  Maybe we;ll get a report before then.  We cleaned all the hatches and gaskets last Saturday, and made sure all hatches were dogged down tight.  All WTDs and ventilation dampers were closed the night before the storm hit just in case.

Ling and Becuna took more direct hits.  It will be interesting to hear how they did.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
I've seen Karen posting interesting videos of the Cobia. 

Offline pekelney

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »
I just heard from Ling, the boat is OK.  However, 4.5 foot of water in the park with all the artifacts, and 1.5 foot in the trailer.

Offline drew

• Seaman
    • View Profile
Lionfish is still swimming along.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
The Lionfish iis fine, the bad weather didn't really reach it. SS 298 lives at Battleship cove, which is well inland of the Atlantic coast in a bay at the outlet of the Taunton river.
And she is protected by her two big brothers. The boat is literally sandwiched between a battleship and a destroyer, with a soviet missile corvette thrown in for extra sheltering. With Google maps satellite view (or Bing if you prefer) the arrangement is easy to see (battleship cove, fall river, ma).

We had a small work party this weekend so I had a chance to take a look. I spent some time wandering around under the deck. The rust wasn't damaged at all. There is still plenty of it.

The K-77 museum boat sank after a storm in 2007, at the entrance to the Providence River in Providence Rhode Island. Maybe that was due to flood control (storm gates, pumps) measures rather than the storm itself. Hopefully there isn't any lingering bad museum boat karma in the New England area.