Author Topic: College project  (Read 4751 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
College project
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »
Hello im doing a english project at college and i got to choose any topic i want and i chose American and German Submarine warefare during world war 2 as my project topic so its going to be a 6 page essay im dividing it up into 3 pages for each one and if any of you could give me a little help i would greatly appreicate it
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: College project
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
interesting... six pages on a topic that noone can cover in 1,000!  Basically you need to consider you are going to report on the best submarine campaign in history and the worst in history... (basically I can't consider the Japanese submarine efforts to be a "campaign" actually... they never seemed to have even basic coordination, much less an organized campaign! 

Remember, US subs sank more than 78% of the Japanese merchant fleet (56% of all enemy ships sunk)... the U-boats managed to sink and/or damage less than 1% of all Allied shipping during the course of WWII... and lost 30,000 of the 40,000 men in the effort!  Read Clay Blair's "Hitler's Uboat War" for the only really comprehensive account of the U-boat war in the Atlantic. It's based on the recently declassified battle reports of the Atlantic anti-sub efforts... (we didn't want the Soviets to learn anything of value from the Germans, so the Atlantic action reports remained classified until the end of the Cold War!!!  When Clay worte his magnus opus historica!
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: College project
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:39:24 AM »
I turned it in today and got a 145 out of 100 :D condensed it to 4 pages got asked a butt load of questions from students and my teacher alike about submarines...The main question was are any of these subs opperational....my answer yes..but to an extent :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:18:49 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian