Author Topic: WWII Crew Member  (Read 4992 times)

Offline trooper1

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
WWII Crew Member
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
Greetings to all. This past Friday night I headed to a local watering hole. As I was walking in I noticed a car with with Silent Service license plates. Now I know something about the Submarine Service because I had the honor of having had an uncle, who was a major influence on my life, whom happened to serve on the USS Threadfin SS 410 during WWII. He was also called up during the Korean War.
Took a walk to the head later that night and there was this old timer pushing a walker on wheels. Pleasantries exchanged and for who knows why I ask the man. "That wouldn't be your car out front with the Sub plates." Smiles and says it sure is. How about that. I tell him about my uncle Pat who worked out of Pearl. Had to ask and so I did. "What boat were you on." John, that's his name says proudly "Batfish."
Now I'm no kid myself. Nam class of 68 Air Cav grunt. I tell John that your boat is looking for you ( I was certain you guys had a web site). He now looks a tad puzzled. I asked if he had ever checked out The Batfish on the computer. He tells me he's 89 and doesn't own a computer never has and has no idea how to use one. Now it gets good. This woman steps into the conversation (uninvited). She does not know John the Batfish sailor but she's convinced John needs a ride home. She thinks he's had too much to drink. He looked fine to me. After five minutes of her insisting he couldn't drive he told her to shove off. I followed him out to his car. He was fine. Put his walker in the trunk. Says to me. "You know we sunk three Jap subs." Now I'm thinking he needs a ride home. Laughs on me when I went on your site. So let's wrap this up I'm going fishing. I got John's phone number. I'm going to have him meet me at the place we were at and bring him home and go on the computer so he can see the site. I did not get his last name but I see a few crew members with the first name John. ANYWAY how about that. You guys will be hearing from John in the near future. All the best.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Crew Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »
I wonder if he knows that the batfish is still around..
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Crew Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »
Did you show John the site? 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy