Author Topic: So how did the Batfish get there?  (Read 27415 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: So how did the Batfish get there?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
Yeah... MAYBE... is the operative term.  No one has seen her bottom hull in 40 years.

My wife and I got to play the starring roles in that PT boat show at Disney during our honeymoon in 2003.  We got everyone to laugh when my wife got drenched by one of the exploding depth charges and I decided to use my mop to dry her off.   ;D

You're probably right about not having a pool of water if the boat is on blocks.  Another idea that I had was to deliberately pump river water into the basin to keep her afloat (and to drown the moles and gophers) and then every year drain the basin to do maintenance.  The floating boat idea would go well with the dock idea that Rick has.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:15 PM »
The original park plan I have in another thread shows that they were to have the pool full all the time and have gangways west-fore and east-aft for getting on and off the BAT.  The problem then is when you drain it how to do "right" the boat and now you have to worry about air pressure and ballast and leaks and.....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
Very true.  These are issues that the floating boats currently deal with.  The interesting thing about that basin is that it doesn't take long to drain naturally.  In a week it would be a puddle and then you fix whatever needs to be fixed. 

A marriage of the block idea and the boat afloat idea is to have the boat afloat, but then have cement cradles for her to rest on when the water is drained.  Makes maint. a lot easier if she's elevated.  Downside is that the boat would have to be moved out of the way while a cradle is built.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy