Author Topic: Rick - wish list  (Read 14194 times)

Offline Rontini

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rick - wish list
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
I am Vice CO of Lockwood Base.  We have helped the Drum, Marlin and just gave $500 to the Thresher Memorial.  Send a message to John Bay (johnbay@megalink.net) to be put on the "Needs" list with a brief description of planned work and material needs.  John is CO. 
We are also the supplier of the Preserving Our Heritage patch.  The drum just ordered 200.  Are you selling them?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »
Rick Dennis, our park manager, says that we no longer carry that patch, because they don't sell very well.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
Jim,

One of the things I have learned through reading the accounts of these old boats it that there was not a whole lot that fit into a pure manufacturing molde like we see today.  Many modifications were made on the fly and without the shipyard knowledge.  I remember one account on the Tang where O'kain had his crew reconfigure the antena on the sheers to create a smaller submerged wake for the boat.  Just one example.

I do not believe that the Batfish ever had a rear ladder.  At least I have never found any documentation showing that it did.   The issue here is access tot he bridge.  I am still in favor of letting the public up to the bridge area, we just need to decide how.  Access needed to be safe and the ladder to the after gun deck is the only practical way that I can see.  In our case, interpretation is critical.  We have an opertunity here to stylize it and make it our.  Take advantage of the.   At least within reason.

Rick