Author Topic: Muskogee War Memorial Park - BATFISH's home  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
Muskogee War Memorial Park - BATFISH's home
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
Found an old copy of the original plans for the park.  Thought I would share.  They had grand plans although knowing the Arkansas, I don't think it would have cooperated with so much rip-rap in the channel.  Still waiting for the PT-boat and the Sherman. Hmmm.....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Muskogee War Memorial Park - BATFISH's home
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
Don't hold your breath on the tank and the PT Boat. Maybe 40 years ago there were still enough surplus PT boats around, but not anymore.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »
Yeah, that was more tongue in cheek.  They also have a hotel water/land fueling and a marina in the Arkansas.  A Higgins boat would be a nice addition though?  The park is really mostly Navy, but that could pull in Marines and the Army. Make for some transition. Here's one, just needs some retro work.  Somebody with $ get it and bring it down and my crew and myself will "retro" it back.... :)   Somebody with a silver tongue, or maybe a park manager/curator might get them to donate it as a tax write off........Rick, Call to station....

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1966/Higgins-LCVP-2507503/Branford/CT/United-States
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:59:04 PM by Blackwing »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
In the not too distant past I thought someone was considering bringing a Higgins boat to the museum, as well as a faithful reproduction of the CSS Hunley.  Sometimes I think we spread more rumors than a bunch of old women at a flea market.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »
Did they have the boat or were looking for a boat? 

I've got a line on an old Sherman that a friend picked up from the OMA before it became a true college.  Not great shape but you start at the beginning. I don't even know if he'll part with it but all he can say is - "No, now get the H@#$ out before I break your arm!"   :knuppel2:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
It's worth a try.  A lot of the displays have neglected for a long time and the Army stuff seems to be more neglected than anything else on the premises.  I don't even know if we have the Vietnam troop truck anymore.  I never really pay much attention to the "front yard" of the museum.

We even had a caboose at one time and then we gave it to some music museum (I think) that went under shortly thereafter.  Now, it's scrap metal.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
I ripped my pants on the back of the army truck....youch.. :uglystupid2:  If the park wanted a sherman couldnt you get one from a private collector? i know theirs many around.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »
Yep, you can get a restored one.........for about $300k.....maybe....I think that would be a bit over budget.... :buck2:

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »
the city of muskogee prolly wouldnt like if we had a panzer vs sherman rematch XD
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:51 AM »
I found a grainy photo of how BATFISH was originally to be displayed.  It concurs with the drawing earlier in the thread.  You can also see how the Arkansas river was much higher and closer back when.  This height would explain how they thought they could get a marina to work up there.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Over the past 40 years a LOT of sand has built up in front of the basin where the boat sits.  It's pretty far away from the water now.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
I have learned 1 thing over the past 7 years.  (OMG it has been that long :2funny:).  Do not count on anything until it is arriving at the gate, then hang on to it with you dear life.  The river was much higher back then.  Since the three dams were finished the Corp of Engineers keep the river levels relitively lown.  For new equipment, I am all for it.  Get those silver toungs working and lets get it here. 

Rick