Author Topic: Batfish Manual Bow Plane Rigging Photos  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Batfish Manual Bow Plane Rigging Photos
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:15 PM »
Darrin asked for these. 

In the first photo you can see that I'll pulling back a plunger on the back of the motor housing that operates the bow plane rigging transmission.  This handle has to remain out like this during the entire process.

The second and third photos show the wheel with a circular chain attached to it for rigging the planes out by hand.

The last photo shows the transmission set to rigging, rather than the bow windlass. 

Let me know if you need any other photos or details.  I don't remember which direction the chain has to go for the planes to move up or down.  It's been 2 1/2 years since we did ours and I wasn't even present.  You need one additional person with a radio in the FTR and someone else on the dock or on deck with the other radio.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Manual Bow Plane Rigging Photos
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
Thanks Mark, hopefully that will help the group trying to lower the ones on Torsk

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Manual Bow Plane Rigging Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
It seems to be pretty straight forward, concept-wise.  It's just a lot of work to get them lowered by hand.  Mark Allen jammed an object, like a hammer, under that lever in the first picture to hold it in place.

I thought that we had a placard posted in the FTR on how to do hand-rigging, but I couldn't even see where one used to be posted.  Makes me wonder if Batfish ever had one.  They probably just taught everyone word of mouth back in the day.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy