Author Topic: Periscopes Repairs  (Read 59610 times)

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Periscopes Repairs
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
Hi All
I wonder if what they mean concerning "shims" is the chevron packing that is part of the hull seal. There is nowhere else that the periscope can be "shimmed". This is shown clearly in Figure 2-47 on page 36 of the periscope manual. This section of the manual also covers removing and installing a periscope.

The hull packing can remain in place while removing the periscope. After the periscope is removed, the hull seal components can be delt with.
The hull seal components will have to be removed before the periscope is installed. The components are installed one at a time from inside the conning tower while the periscope is supported by a safety clamp above. The Hoisting Yoke will not be in place at this time. After the packing is in place the Hoisting Yoke is raised into position.  A good description of the Hoisting Yoke is given starting on Page 470 of the Periscope Manual.

To separate the periscope from the hoisting yoke, you have to remove the setscrews, item 4 on Figure 7-26, Page 472, and unscrew the Cover Ring, Item 16. When you raise the periscope out of the Hoisting Yoke, there will be a set of Split Rings, Item 17, in a grove in the periscope. These split rings are removed and this will allow you to remove the Cover Ring and the periscope can be raised out of the submarine.

When you install the periscope you must be sure the Cover Ring is on the periscope and the Split Rings are in place. There is no need to take the Housting Yoke apart unless it must be cleaned and lubricated.

If the periscopes on the BATFISH are in the full raised position it could be a problem gaining access to the top or the Hoisting Yoke to remove the Cover Ring Lockscrews and the Cover Ring.

Darrin, Do you happen to know where in the TORSK bbs the periscope related entries are? I visited the the TORSK years ago to deliver an E&E Adapter for their Type 8B Periscope. As you may know, their periscopes were upgraded over the years but the Hull Packings and the Removal/Installation would be similar to the BATFISH.

Paul 

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 01:44:57 AM »
Mark, your ad-hoc point man.  Where are we really on this?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
Paul,

What I called "shims" were listed as wedges in 2002's work weekend activities, they turned out to be rubber wedges that were used by the Navy to hold the scopes up in case of hydraulic loss (which a crewmember did release the hydraulic lock on them in '04) and they were in the superstructure in various different area and no I wan't apart of the team working on the scopes so I have no idea as to where they were located at inside of the superstructure of the sail.

The crew also worked on the scopes in '04,05,06 and '08

Here is the link to the '02 work weekend and you can click on the "activities" link on the home page to see the rest of the work that the crew did

http://www.usstorsk.org/volunteers/tww09/tww9_01.htm

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Jim,

I contacted King's bay (the Captain) regarding someone in his command contacting us about scope crates or prints for scope crates.  As Darrin mentioned, we could always build ad-hoc crates.  The more that I look into this project, the more complicated that it gets.  I have not had enough time to really put my heart and soul into researching all of the important and necessary details to pull this off without having damage to property or people.  It would REALLY be helpful to have people available (in person) that have done this before, too.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
I'm sure, once you are ready to move forward, we can convince some Cavalla crews to come up and help.  If it is scheduled enough in advance we might get Mr Lipinski to help supervise.   ;D

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »
Mark,

IF you can't find or get the periscope cases you can reverse engineer them while they are onboard the Batfish ;)

You already know the length of the 'scopes and you can easily get the inner dimensions of what is inside of the people tank and IF Paul sends you his clamps you will have another dimension already done for you and the remaining and biggest pains in the arse to get are the uppper part of the 'scope housings.

And IF I remember correctly the upper part of the 'scopes really don't need to be braced too much unless they are going to be laying flat for a long period of time or being shipped so you shouldn't have to have to have your guys climb the shears just to get the diameter of the 'scopes. Granted I haven't seen a 'scope being removed and replaced since '93ish and that was to re-install the origional one on Honolulu after replacing the Type 2 attack scope

Darrin

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
Hello All,

I have been working with the Reuben H Fleet Science Center located in San Diego CA. They have a 1945 vintage Type IV Periscope that will be removed in the near future during a facility upgrade. They do not want the periscope any longer and we are looking for a new home. If we can not find one the periscope will be shipped back to the Naval Supply Center, Cheatham Annex, Williamsburg VA for storage. These periscopes are becoming quite rare and the Naval History and Heritage Command does not want to see it scrapped. I last viewed the periscope ten years ago and it was in good condition. Recent conversations and pictures provided by the Exhibits Director indicate that they have taken good care of it. Bear in mind that this periscope is showing wear and is missing external eyepiece box components. It has been open to the public for quite a few years.
If anyone is interested I would suggest a visit to the Science Center to evaluate the condition. The receiving organization would be required to contact the Naval History and Heritage Command to request transfer of custody. Then they would be required to pay transportation costs from San Diego. A ball park figure for trucking is $2.15 per mile. I recommend displaying the periscope in an area that is accessible to the public. It could go onto a Fleet submarine but the Conning Tower has limited access.
If anyone has any questions and/or concerns please contact me via this forum and I will try to help you out. I have recent photos and contact information.

Paul     

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for the heads up.  Is the Type IV scope the observation scope or the attack scope?

Mark

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
We would love to have that scope.  Please send Mark and me any information.  I am intent on getting it.....:)

Rick
ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
Could we continue this conversation via email. I am not an experienced forum user.
Thanks,
Paul
PJL2@comcast.net

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
Here's how the OK Science Museum has their scope set up.  The height is fixed, but it can rotate 360 deg.  Most of the view through the scope is of the building roof.  Apparently, it's a Type 24KA36/HA ...

I like the steps idea, too, for the kids.  It's a little hard on adults, but the kids get more out of it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:50:27 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Mark,

Do you have a point of contact at the OK Science Center. The display is very interesting, especially the nameplate. The nameplate looks very new and there seems to be a "1" missing at the front of the "DESIGN DESIG. number. The registry number indicates that it is a Type 2E which would make it a 124KA36/HA. If that is the case, it was originally delivered to the NAVY on September 28, 1961.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
I looked more closely at the picture of the name plate and I think that there is a "1" in front of the 24...  A type 2E sounds about right for the vintage.

I think I remember seeing another I.D. plate on the scope that said it was a "2E".  Were these scopes taller than WWII scopes?  It shows a viewing height of 74 ft.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:51:23 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »
The Type 2E was one of the shorter periscopes produced. 37 foot optical length as noted on the Design Designation. 124KA"36"HA on the nametag. The 74 denotes the maximum elevation viewing angle. The Type II Attack on the BATFISH is about 40 feet long.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »
What boats were the 2E's installed on?  Training vessels?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor