Author Topic: Qual cards and docents giving correct tours  (Read 11378 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Qual cards and docents giving correct tours
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
So Mark,

How is the "qual card" process working out??  with all that you and everyone else have learned I am pretty sure that you have tried made it easy for those whom have never served on submarines to understand, the school of the boats on Active duty are pretty detailed and those attending had gone through Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS) and had an idea of how things were supposed to work.

This school of the boat was taught for those whom never served on the boats and made you realize how equipment worked and how to research the technical manuals so you could find out what your boat(s) actually used to do and not how someone "modified" them to make it look like they were still in service.

One day I will try to visit all of the museum boats, I cannot right now due to being on Active duy and not having the funding to do so :(

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Qual cards and docents giving correct tours
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
I am no longer working on the qual. test(s) for the BLHA reenacting group.  We know that it needs to be done, but there is some disagreement on how detailed it needs to be.

So, in the mean time, I came up fairly detailed tour sheets for each compartment.  It's a mix of technical details and anecdotal stories.  People's eyes glass over if you start rattling off too many engineering terms or concepts.  Anyway, some people use the tour sheets and others don't.  You can lead a horse to water...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
Would you be willing to share your tour sheets?

Mike E

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
Sure.  Lance, is there a way to post the files on the forum?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
Sure.  Lance, is there a way to post the files on the forum?

You should be able to just attach any file to any post you make - it's right below the area where you type in your message.  You can have up to 6 attachments per post, with each attachment being no larger than around 3 MB in size.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
Sounds easy enough.  The largest file is 586 KB and I have 10.  So, I'll have to post twice.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
It is hard to believe that this post is over 3 years old and how much has changed and some for the good and for the very worst,

may one day we all get back to business as normal and resume our duties onboard our beloved boats and try to get through all of the mess that has been accumulating since we left due to PPM by the museum(s) staff