Author Topic: 2013 Goals  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
2013 Goals
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
So, what are the boats going to try and accomplish for their "this year's" big projects?  Sound off.

I'll start.  Batfish:  Dig out the stern.  Rebuild the bridge area.  Expand the front 20mm deck and rebuild and replace (if we can find and have help with parts) the Oerlikon mount and sight.  Rebuild the 40mm deck area.  Install a ladder to the 40mm deck.  Rebuild/replace the scopes.  fabricate and install the 5" deck gun mount.

This is very aggressive. We also have plans for other areas of the Park and Museum proper.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Goals
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
Torsk is in the process of replacing the entire deck topside.  Making good progress! 

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
Keep at it!  I think it took the Batfish 3 years to replace the deck?  Any other boat plans for 2013?

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
Drum 2013-14-? sand blast and paint inside fuel/ballast tanks, replace rusted out frames, re-skin tanks. and anything else that pops up. I might even get my head examined, no then I won't finish the boat.
Tom

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
Looks like the stern dig is a go!

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »
Torsk is also hoping to replace some of the bunks in the torpedo rooms and Crew's Berthing.  The pipe bunks are gone, taken away after the boat was decommed as were many bunks in Crew's Berthing.  We have installed some bunks from a troop ship, but they were not submarine pipe racks.  We hope to get correct bunks fabricated and installed.  We also have many, many smaller projects that are being worked on.

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
Go ahead and post a few.  The smallest projects always seem to turn in to the biggest for some reason.   :uglystupid2:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
Jim,

It took the Batfish volunteers 4 years to replace the main deck and there are still some areas that aren't 100% completed.  As you mentioned, the bridge deck has been completely neglected.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
Amongst other things, the Torsk crew is working on the restoration of the Forward Main Engine Lube Oil systems, the fresh water and seawater cooling systems, and the motor room bilges.  We are also working on a coffin bunk display that will have a Plexiglas top and contain uniforms, books, and all the other gear that a submarine sailor typically took on patrol.  In the torpedo rooms we are working on see through barriers to keep the visitors from wondering between the torpedo tubes and falling into the flats.  The ladder up to the conning tower is being repainted and the ropework is being redone.  In Radio we are in the middle of restoring our URC-32 HF transmitter-receiver, our TCS-12 HF transmitter-receiver, and the RBS-1 HF receiver and in Crew's Mess we are restoring our SLR-12 (RBO).  So, all in all, we have many projects in the works, so we stay fairly busy.  You'll also find members of our crew shining up the metalwork, cleaning nameplates, and doing general housekeeping.

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
My biggest goal for Cobia this year is finshing all my exterior painting projects! Everything is half done, the sail, deck, and pressure hull. I have renewed volunteer interest so it may actually get done this year. And then next year I'll have to start all over again!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
My biggest goal for Cobia this year is finshing all my exterior painting projects! Everything is half done, the sail, deck, and pressure hull. I have renewed volunteer interest so it may actually get done this year. And then next year I'll have to start all over again!

Just like the Bay Bridge.  :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Anything from COD this year? Or Razorback?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
I talked to the Director of COD (Paul Farace) a couple of weeks ago and he was overseas on a business trip :coolsmiley:  so I have no idea what they are doing other than just keeping her clean and looking good like she always does