Author Topic: Ham Station on Batfish?  (Read 9573 times)

Offline K6CKS

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
Ham Station on Batfish?
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
Ahoy,
          I am a new member to SubmarineMuseums but I have talked to many of them on Amateur Radio.  There are two members of the Fort Smith Area Amateur Radio Club that would like an opportunity to operate an Amateur Radio station on the H.F. bands while on board the Batfish as a "Museum Ship Station".  Can the Crew Chief give me some ideas how to go about this?

Thanks,
Rory Bowers, K6CKS
Treasurer - FSAARC

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Ham Station on Batfish?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
You should contact Wade Harris.  Kf5if@cox.net  This should get you started.   ;D

Offline WW2SUB

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
Museum Ships Weekend 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »
Ahoy Rory, members of the FSAARC, as well as the Amateur Radio community at large!

The USS Batfish (and USS Oklahoma) ARC openly welcome all interested parties to their club activities, formal or not. The Museum Ships Weekend (MSW 2013) event will be taking place in just a couple of weeks on the first weekend of June. Dates and Times are all given in UTC, as June 1 0000 to June 2 2359 for the worldwide event; Local time translates to 7 pm Friday May 31st, through 7pm Sunday June 2ed. Event information can be found at http://www.nj2bb.org/museum/index.html

We would love to have you join us over the MSW13 weekend, and hope that you all would like to operate from the boat or museum park grounds. We will likely have several stations operational, using several bands and modes. We also have the unusual distinction of operating two different calls, one for the USS Batfish, WW2SUB as you know, but also WW2OK for the USS Oklahoma (mast) Memorial which is on the grounds as well. You may operate either or both. Operations are both indoors and out in Field day style, so dress accordingly.

There is the normal museum entrance charge (max $6) for all non sub-club members, those funds are for other museum operation and not for the radio event in any way. Sub club members also function as museum volunteers on various levels; if anyone would be interested in joining us in the preservation of the Museum, submarine or the memory of the people that served in the US Military, just let me know and I would be happy to get you started. After hour’s access is controlled / limited but it is possible. Please contact me directly and let me know what your situation is and I will work with you on it.

As for operating at the event, that should not be a problem, but we must be a little more stringent on some of the rules of operating then some understand. The three rules are as follows:

1.   We are all visitors at the Museum; we must not interfere with the normal operations at the museum. The Public’s safety and enjoyment is as much of our operation as any on the air. They will frequently ask many questions about the radio operation as well as the museum displays; be courteous, even if you don’t know the answer; expect interruptions.
2.   All Radio activates must be coordinated as to band and mode of operation, equipment and antenna installations.
3.   All radio contacts must be logged and copies submitted to event officials prior to leaving. Our logs are compiled and then submitted to NN2JB event organizers to certify the contacts for the certificates. Electronic logging is preferred but if you must use paper, makes sure each page has the basic information that includes the following:
a.   Operator name (your name)
b.   Operator call sign (your call)
c.   Control operator name (if used)
d.   Control operator Call (if used)
e.   Special event station call sign (WW2SUB or WW2OK)
f.   Band or specific Frequency
g.   Mode of operation.

Mitch KC5HWW is the event coordinator for MSW13, but I am the club trustee for the call signs and the club liaison to the museum. You may contact either one of us for further information.

Mitch KC5HWW
secretary@ww2ok.org

Wade KF5IF
trustee@ww2ok.org
kf5if@arrl.net

73’s,
Hope to see you there,
Or talk to you on the air!

Wade KF5IF

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »
We will have a group of guys aboard Cobia that weekend. Hope you get a chance to say hi!

Offline WW2SUB

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »
Karen,

Tell the Cobia radio crew to be on the lookout for the Batfish as WW2SUB and the Oklahoma BB37 "mast" memorial as WW2OK. We will certainly be on the lookout for them.

73's
Wade