Author Topic: Lessons learned on strip ships and how to get in  (Read 50532 times)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
Re: Lessons learned on strip ships and how to get in
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
Mark, since you're kind of ram-rodding this thing from our end, I'll give you the official "wish-list" from the BLHA. Let me know as soon as you decide when you all are planning on going out there. I'll try to take off work and go with you. I would LOVE to be a part of that.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
JRRF just like Philly have gone to the twice a year strip ships and these are two weeks long, while there may be gear that is out there for you, you may get what you need by trading pieces/parts with other museums that have done these strip ships in the past and have the extra's or the parts that you need in storage and those who can't use the parts may be more then happy to trade with you.. the only thing that it takes is an email between those who run these museums to find out if they have the parts that you need and if they are willing to get rid of them, that alone may save you time money and the blood and sweat involved in a strip ship because while fun they are exhausting and painfull in the end.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »
Corrye,
Let me know what you are looking for.  I may be able to add to the list.  I would like to see a dont more of the valve handles, gadges and hatch handles replaced.  I also noticed that one of the cleats on the after deck was replaced with a cheesy home spun one.   Also coordinate with Makr Allen and his group.  I know that there are several of them that would love to go on one of these trips,  I would like to go myself.    We will see.   All of the extra hands you can get would go a long way to help out on this project.

Rick

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 10:21:35 PM »
I've already started putting the word out on my end and we have at least 3 sets of hands available from the BLHA side. I'll give you the list that we come up with.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 05:43:05 AM »
IF anyone is still reading this thread after nearly 10 years I hate to say it but most of the ships if not all of them are gone now and the days of doing a strip ship are long over

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
Unfortunately, there might be opportunities soon with the issues with the Ling and Clamagore...
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »
I think that the Ling is sadly done, she still has water in her since she was flooded so I don't see her being saved now