Author Topic: Books about our submarine museum boats!  (Read 64102 times)

Offline N4KC

• Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Books about our submarine museum boats!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »
Thanks for all the great comments about my submarine books!  Some news:

We are hoping to be able to announce THE ICE DIARIES in paperback after the first of the year.  The book has done very well and reamins on many of Amazon's bestseller lists.  More on that book can be found here:  http://donkeith.com/index.php?p=13

I have a new book coming in late March 2010.  WAR BENEATH THE WAVES tells the story of the USS Billfish and a 15-hour depth charge attack that brought out the worst but also the absolute best in her crew.  You can go here to learn more: http://donkeith.com/index.php?p=2

Glad to see so many other authors are working on books about the various boats.  We MUST tell these stories!

Don Keith
www.donkeith.com
www.n4kc.com
www.facebook.com/donkeith
www.n4kc.blogspot.com

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »
Don
When are you coming back to the Drum?
James Scottt is just starting a book about the Drum and the Silversides.
Tom

Offline N4KC

• Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 06:24:44 PM »
Tom:

I was down your way for a signing in October in Fairhope and in November at the Junior League Christmas Jubilee but did not get a chance to get by the Drum either trip.  I did ask the Barnes & Noble folks if they were still supplying FINAL PATROL to the gift shop but they weren't sure there had been any copies sent over there lately.  I still think the gift shop can buy them from a distributor cheaper and make more for the gift shop.

I brag about you and all the work you do on the boat all the time.  Hope the "Old Girl" is hanging together and that millions are going through her "innards."  I hope to see you all soon.  Good to hear from you and the best of the holidays to everyone there at the Alabama and Drum!

Don
www.donkeith.com

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
I know this thread is old (they ALL are) but Mark Allen has a book on the BATFISH as well.  Leader Of The Pack: The Fleet Submarine Uss Batfish In World War II

Offline N4KC

• Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
You're right, Blackwing.  If none of us post, the posts get old!  I've heard good things about the Batfish book but I have not yet read it.  I've WRITTEN more books lately than I have READ!  But that's the nature of what I do.

Since my last post, I've done a book on Commander Dudley "Mush" Morton and the USS Wahoo titled Undersea Warrior.  See more at http://www.donkeith.com/index.php?p=18.  Commander (USN Retired) George Wallace and I have also published our second novel, a submarine thriller, Firing Point.  Details at http://www.donkeith.com/index.php?p=20.  It is still in pre-production as a major motion picture.  But if Hollywood was a U.S. fleet boat, we'd be speaking Japanese now!

I saw the Drum from a distance a while back and it looks like Tom Bowser and the crew are doing some great work over there.  Does anyone have updates on Clamagore and Cavalla?

Don Keith
www.donkeith.com

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
Hi Don,
I must have missed your December post. I don't think the gift shop has your book, I will check tomorrow. We are working in and on the fuel/ballast tanks, been in them two years now and will most likely spend another three years in them, great fun.

We have a new book coming out soon called The War Below by James Scott, it is about the Drum, the Silversides and the Tang. It is a good read.
Tom

Offline N4KC

• Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »
Tom, that is great!  Glad you are still in those tanks and keeping the old girl pretty and painted up. 

On the books, I lost contact with the lady at the Barnes & Noble in Daphne.  She was the one that was checking with the gift shop to see if they needed copies of FINAL PATROL.  I still think the gift shop could get better prices from whatever distributor they use for other books and make more money that way for the museum.  Let me know if they get the book back in and next time I'm down that way I'll come by and sign any copies they have in stock.  That might help them sell, too.  The gift shop can just tell the distributor they want to order ISBN 0451219511.  They can buy them through a distributor cheaper than I can!

All the best, Tom, and it is great to hear from you.

Don Keith
www.donkeith.com

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:36 AM »
I know this thread is old (they ALL are) but Mark Allen has a book on the BATFISH as well.  Leader Of The Pack: The Fleet Submarine Uss Batfish In World War II

I own the book myself and I apologize for not updating this book thread to reflect its release.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention!  The original post has been updated.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 01:50:37 AM »
i have several of your books mr keith and just purchased one earlier today :) very good author.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:29 PM »
Thanks Don
I talked to the gift shop manager today and I will pass on the book number to her. We have a new manager and she is wanting to do what ever she can to help us.
Tom

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »
5/29/13

Added The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan by James Scott to the list.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »
Added a link to Tom Bowser's new Drum book:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Lives-USS-Drum/dp/098938330X/

Offline N4KC

• Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
Tom's book is FANTASTIC!  You'll feel like you are back inside a diesel boat when you thumb through all those great photos.  It also shows just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the work he and Leslie have done to restore the DRUM.

Congrats, Tom!

Don Keith
www.donkeith.com

Offline bergall320

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
  • USS GRUNION
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
iF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ABOUT THE USS GRUNION, THERE ARE TWO BOOKS RECENTLY PUBLISHED.  THE FIRST IS CALLED FATAL DIVE AND THE SECOND IS CALLED, WE REMEMBER THEM: A BIOGRAPHICAL SUPPLEMENT FOR FATAL DIVE.
HOWARD A. SANDERS

Offline bergall320

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
  • USS GRUNION
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
I responded to your submarine books but I can't find it so I'll try again.  Two books you can but tell the story about the USS Grunion.  The Grunion was sunk in the Bering sea July 30th, 1942, all hands lost. The titles of the books are:  " Fatal Dive" and "We Remember  Them: A Biographical Supplement for Fatal Dive".
HOWARD A. SANDERS