Author Topic: Drum's 2001 move to land photos  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Drum's 2001 move to land photos
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
Some of the folks from Volkert and Associates, the engineering firm who did the move, were kind enough to send me their photos of the Drum's move to land.  They are at the bottom of the "History" page on the Drum228.org website.

http://www.drum228.org/history.html

Interesting.  Click on any of the photos to see a larger version.

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Drum's 2001 move to land photos
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
I know this is old Tom but, were you around for the land move?  How did they raise the Drum up so high?  Did they close and fill the cofferdam with sand to float her up high enough to settle on it and then drain the water and add the chocks?  That's what the picks "look like" but I am just guessing.

Edit: On further review it looks like the sand they dug out, they put back in.  This would put the ground level back to about where it was before the channel was dug and the Drum would float higher with the sand added adding to the water's height in the coffer.  The one picture shows most of the dirt/sand in the center of the Drum This would allow the bow to be dug/chocked first to stablize any "bow down" attitude.  I guess then you work your way back.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:37:06 PM by Blackwing »

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Drum's 2001 move to land photos
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »
After re-reviewing the pictures the engineers were genious's, they floated her and got her stabalized in the sand and then dug DOWN and built the concrete stands under her keel and up her keel and once completely dried they removed the rest of the sand from the area.. absolutely fantastic idea.