Author Topic: New Book: How to Pilot a Submarine  (Read 8330 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
New Book: How to Pilot a Submarine
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
I just stumbled onto this while surfing at lunch...not sure of the contents but is due out next month...

How do you pilot a submarine? The US Navy based this book on the USS Perch and it gives in depth detail on all aspects of submarine work.  The training aid for the US Submarine fleet, How to Pilot a Submarine gives us an idea of just what life was like underwater and the various tasks a submariner would have to do. Restricted and unavailable till now, this is an ideal gift for the man in your life, who will learn how to crash dive, how to maintain the engines and batteries of a World War Two submarine and, most importantly, how to fire the torpedoes and to deal with life underwater.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1445635852/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=CA8E6GZ46A6V&coliid=I3B8QI0P39QHR

Maybe required reading before Darrin's next School of the Boat.

More:

Published by the US Navy, this was their training manual through the Second World War and into the 1950s. A truly fascinating glimpse at the shadowy, underwater world of a submariner

Not sure how this differs from the NAVPERS series.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:37:08 PM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New Book: How to Pilot a Submarine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
Well Mark,

You maybe teaching that block because I don't think that we ever did cover navigation during the school of the boat that was started almost what 6 years ago and still lingers on from time to time as people ask more questions :coolsmiley:

Darrin