Author Topic: but cans, ash receiver  (Read 7646 times)

Offline pekelney

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
but cans, ash receiver
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
Hi,

Do any of you have a but can, cigarette ash receiver of the type in this drawing?  We would love to get some photos for a volunteer that is considering replicating these (metal spinning.)  Note these do not match the but cans we got from surface ships in Susuin, or the ones we saw on Cobia.

rich

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: but cans, ash receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »

That's one of my pics from the USS Tambor. Isn't that a but can?

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
I think it is, but I think it is the style that Cobia has.  Pampanito has the microfilm drawing I put in the first posting, and we have a lot of the mounts like the ones in the drawing.  These are different than the Cobia ones that go on a screw head or button stud. Theirs are also a bit taller.

rich

Offline Karen D.

• Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
Rich, is it possible Cobia had both styles?? Looking at your drawing, I've seen some of those brackets around the boat too, but none of our cans are that style.

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »
Karen,

Of course it is possible.  Maybe they added more cans during an overhaul and they had different ones in stock. Or she had the small cans like the drawing during the war, and more were added during Cobia's post-war service?   Or are they just found cans added during the museum period.  Pampanito has a few of the larger cans on display, un-mounted, that came off the ships in Susuin Bay Reserve Fleet.  Do the single stud mounts look original? Pampanito has nothing like these.  Do any of the cans show up in Cobia WW II photos?

rich

Offline Karen D.

• Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »
Sadly, we on have 1 interior photo during the war years (at least to my knowledge).  :'( I looked at it and it looks like there is a mount like your diagram on the side of the ladder in the control room. I'm guessing we've had both styles on the boat at some time or another.
Karen

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
It's an EB thaanng...
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
It would seem that EBCo liked and supplied tall cylindrical butt cans for its boats, and likely Manitowoc followed suit. They have a flat tab that fits into vertical slot straps on ladder sides, table edges, etc. all over the boat. They are made of heavy metal and were much more substantial than the thin, larger stamped metal ones we got from Suisun Bay reserve ships (surface). COD has two given to us by one of our shipkeepers who was aboard the CAVALLA. He removed them as souvenirs at the end of the war. Likely the all went home in the seabags of smoking sailors. We need about 40 of them aboard COD... someday if and when we get drawings, we will have them fabricated.

Our FTR officers head has one, and one is bonded to its mount in the MR, next to the couch.

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:30:07 PM »
Paul,

Would you post a photo of the EB style can?

Enclosed is a photo of one of the replica cans created by Earl Powell based on the Portsmouth drawing and the mounting flanges all over the boat.  Note this is aluminum instead of galvanized steel, and he used pop rivets instead of spot welding.  But otherwise they are based on the drawing above and fit the mounts on Pampanito.  We will paint the bottoms grey and leave the tops shiny. There were originally about 40 according to the drawings.  Earl created a dozen and we will only place them out of the reach of visitors.

rich

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
A few of the replica cans installed.  We have 8 aboard right now in areas in accessible to the public.  Two of these are just sitting on shelves waiting for us to replicate the missing mounting flanges.  There are two more that will go in the conning tower on original flanges soon.  Earl Powell replicated 13 of these for us.