Author Topic: USS Marlin Shore Power  (Read 12394 times)

Offline KE7RDM

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
USS Marlin Shore Power
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »
Howdy all-
We at Freedom Park are trying to restore shore power to the USS Marlin but are having a tough time understanding how it is wired. We have the manuals but they do not once reference a voltage in regards to the shore power input. That is another interesting element- the sub has a real shore power connection that feeds an AC switch board- while underway it is driven by a MG set. What is intersting is that prior to Bill Lee passing, he was convinced that the boat ran off a 3 phase 120 volt system by linking three transformers together. When I open the box however and examine the blue prints, the wires are color coded as black, white, and red; which to me indicates a split phase 240 system (120v phase to neutral). Has anyone got any ideas or seen something odd like this? To me it is looking more like a 240 system and that Bill was incorrect.

Peter

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Re: USS Marlin Shore Power
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
One of my volunteers might be able to help you out. I'll pass any info on if they have answers. We just replaced our shore cable this spring, but I couldn't give you any details beyond that!

Karen

Offline KE7RDM

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Karen,

That would be great! I have been aboard and after looking heavily at the blueprints, I do believe it is 3 phase 120. It is just a little too bizarre that the colors match that of a NEC Split phase system. Marlin, being a 50's boat, was unique from most of the boats posted on this page in that she had a bonefied AC shore power connection that leads right into her distribution boards. She has not been lit through her own panels in many years. Navy inspection is coming on Saturday! Wish us luck!

Pete

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
Peter,  Any word on re re-opening of Freedom Park? I have not had any luck when talking to the Parks department.

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
Here is the response form our lead electrical volunteer : If he has the prints tell him to pick any typical 120Vac load and trace the print to see how it gets power from the bus.
check if the bus is single or three phase then trace the buss and see how it relates to the shore power input connection.

Additionally I would think the shore power connector is labeled as to power type...if not on the prints then on the connection itself.

And from another one: I would think blueprint research is needed and thorough inspection and ground fault testing before applying power anywhere! This is what we did way back. Roy was the electrical engineer that designed our 250 volt system and reconfigured our shore power.

Not sure if any of this helps. This is where is usually get lost in conversations!
Karen

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 02:10:35 AM »
Peter,

Look in the "school of the boat" section because we did AC/DC power and how it is brought onboard and correctly used and IF I remember correctly Bill was also apart of that conversation and many others. He asked a lot of great questions regarding a lot of things on the Marlin and that is a great place for you to start researching and for some of the questions that you may or may not have regarding the wiring of the boat..

And as Karen said please before you try to attempt to put any power into a line please check it with a multi meter and check for any possible grounding in your wiring and also check your fuses or circuit breakers to make sure that they aren't bad

Darrin

Offline KE7RDM

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:42 PM »
Well it has been a while! Freedom Park HAS reopened this year and we even had a Marlin reunion today! http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Navy-vets-visit-Omaha-for-a-look-into-history-394579781.html Regarding the electrical power. The boat actually had two seperate systems. The majority of lighting feeders and some smaller equipment (all the equipment we need) is run off of 120V 3 phase! This is accomplished the same way it is done on the Hazard, through the use of three transformers in a wye. Now its just a matter of getting the city to foot the bill!

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
Thank you for the update,

Bill and I scratched our heads trying to figure the Marlin out and with help from the EM's from the Torsk (Chief Mike, Dave and Big Al) I think that we had a solution for you

Darrin