Author Topic: A happy updated on the USS Torsk SS-423  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
A happy updated on the USS Torsk SS-423
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
All,

It appears that the Torsk Volunteer Association and Historic Ships In Baltimore (HSIB) have finally come to an agreement to allow TVA back onboard once more as a family and crew, there is no established date as to when the local crew will return to my knowledge and hopefully Gil or Tracey will answer that question.

Currently the boat has a new deck down and completed and there is a crew onboard that is painting the port side of the sail and apparently they were given permission to paint over the "teeth" (FINALLY) and have done so on the Port side and will be painting over the Starboard side soon.

I would like to thank personally the family (crew) of TVA whom have worked this issue and stayed on track with being brought back onboard back once more so that those whom come to be apart of her can.  And I would be guilty of not thanking Rob of HSIB whom has worked hand in hand with the crew and HSIB to get this issue straightened out once more.

From what I have been told Rob and his crew have kept up the boat and she is in good shape so it may not be a huge shock for the vols to get back onboard and start working once more making her live again more and more each weekend.

As far as this years work weekend is concerned?? I don't know if it will happen at all and I have had no real contact with TVA to know if it will happen or not, however I wouldn't count it out knowing this family of people whom love her dearly.

For those whom would like to see the update on TVA please go to the website www.usstorsk.org and see the update

Darrin

Offline mtnman

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: A happy updated on the USS Torsk SS-423
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:13:31 PM »
That is good news indeed. Best wishes to all.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
Wow, the teeth are gone?  Hope to see an updated pic soon.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »
All,

Go to the TVA website and you will see the Starboard side teeth are GONE and you can't even tell that they were there! I never thought that I would see the day that they were painted over and yet that day is here and she looks great in her pic :)

Thank you all for the support that you have given to TVA regarding what has happened and I for one can't wait for them be working on her on Saturday's once more and doing their weekly reports again.

Darrin

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
Several of the crew spent this past Saturday on board hosting a visit for a WWII Submarine Veteran and family. This was the first time back aboard in 16 months, and plans are being made to return to normal weekly work activity.

There are several photos on the usstorsk.org forum, but for those of you who haven't seen it yet - NO TEETH (Starboard side only so far)!!!

Gil

(Many thanks to Al Freund for the photo)

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:19:10 PM »
Great to hear!
Looking forward to more updates!
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins