Author Topic: Pampanito Drydocking  (Read 36208 times)

Offline pekelney

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Pampanito Drydocking
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Folks,

FYI, Pampanito passed our $500K minimum goal for scheduling the next drydocking.  We will be going sometime in first quarter 2016.  I will let you know once we have updated quotes from the shipyards, and later when we have dates.  This will be 9 years as compared to our 7 year goal, but we are on the way.

We got #1 torpedo tube working again and have measured up the groove needed to create replica muzzle door gaskets.  As far as I know, none of the subs have replaced these and they are all probably rock hard.  We will let you know when we get quotes on the replicas.

rich

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Pampanito Drydocking
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:51:42 AM »
Very good news!

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »
Thanks for the update Rich!

Gil

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
Thanks so much Rich.

We've uh, er, uh, had some 'issues' with torpedo tube gaskets.  Keep us advised on costs, etc.

All the best with your dry-docking!

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
Congrats Rich and crew!!

As Evil Tracey has mentioned the Torsk has had some issues with her tubes leaking over the years, I can't speak however for the last 3 years because I am no longer close enough to volunteer.

Darrin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
Yes, good luck! And very definitely let us know how we can obtain a set of tube gaskets...  I haven't put the checkbook in the drawer yet...  :'(
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mike

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:49:12 AM »
"Working" as just the doors, or as in "as operational as legally possible"? Either way, it is quite impressive, Rich... Great job!

"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
By working I meant that we can open and close the outer door hydraulically, inner doors work.  The firing valves and poppet valves are not operational.  None of the tube flood and drain systems are operational.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
That is an impressive accomplishment, Rich... If memory serves me correctly, the Pampanito is the only boat with an operational hydraulic system, yes?

As for the firing/flooding systems not being operational, I could only guess as to how much of a headache that would be, if it were ever attempted or even allowed...

:)
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »
A quick update, we are now looking at going to drydock sometime around 14 March 2016 for 4-6 weeks of work (about $500,000).

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 12:35:31 AM »
Another update, the shipyard is having problems with the ship in dry dock and we have been delayed.   If it last much longer we will probably be shifted to the fall because summer is our high income period.

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
We are now scheduled for 1 Sep 2016 for 6 weeks at Bay Ship and Yacht in Alemeda.

rich

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
Congratulations, Rich, to you and the PAMP folks.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
Rich, if I am reading the brochure correctly, the tentative plan is to relocate the 5" gun aft?

Henry Rollins

Offline pekelney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 09:17:48 PM »
Moving the gun aft was a goal, but we do not have enough at this point.  This requires re-enforcing the deck and creating a wide spot for the gangway about 10 foot aft of the original 5" gun sponson.  Replacing the foundation for the 5" gun that was removed in the 1960s for the reserve simulator. We have too much damaged steel that is more important.  It was the one big non-preservation item we wanted.

rich