Author Topic: Bow Dive Planes  (Read 16765 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Bow Dive Planes
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:55 PM »
I think that there is a way to mechanically/manually operate the dive planes in the event of total hydraulic failure.  I'm wondering if the Batfish bow dive planes could also be lowered manually?  I think it would look cool with the planes down.  Plus, they probably need to be inspected and painted, anyway.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Bow Dive Planes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »
I cannot say.  I have never inspected that option....

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »
I'm certain there is, but if I recall from my reading, those cranks were very hard to turn even back then.  If they aren't labeled, maybe someone has a diagram?  It seems like they are in some odd place.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
If your bow planes rigging motor set up is the same a the Drum you should see a wheel around the shaft of the motor that looks like a wheel on a chain fall. You put a chain around it and work it like a chain fall, will try to remember to take a photo tomarrow.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Tom,

Are the motors in the forward torpedo room on the ceiling or are they under the deck in the superstructure - I personally wouldn't want an electric motor exposed to salt water, but you never know?  Thanks for the photos ahead of time. 

If lowering these bad boys is electrically operated, we might want to consider running power to them at some point and operate them locally (torp. rm.) with a newly installed switch.  Would be handy for maintenance.  First, we'll make sure that they aren't frozen in place.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:33:30 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:11:04 AM »
First, we'll make sure that they aren't frozen in place.

LOL...you got more going on than a one-legged man in a butt kick contest.   ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 05:55:36 AM »
Yes they are in the overhead and are Dc powered. You need to check under the forward deck also to insure that the gears haven't been locked in place some how and wouldn't hurt to throw some grease to everything, look for trash in the gear teth also.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:07 AM »
A lot of this stuff can be done in an afternoon... and I'm just generating ideas, anyway.  I can't weld and I'm not an electrician.  So, it's really ideas for others.

The 1MC is a long-term project, too.  I need to find other things int he short term.

I did find out that the 1MC is modular and can come apart. Apparently, that is how they repaired the one on Silversides.  It's a lot easier to work on when it sits on a work bench.  Preferably, it would be nice to do it in the new work room in the battery compartment, rather than lugging it all the way home.

Also, I was given the idea of running power directly to one side of the fuse and the throw switch terminals for the 1MC on the I.C. Switch Board.  Cord would plug into a standard outlet and the other end would have alligator clips.  You close the switch when you want to complete the circuit and give the 1MC juice.  This could be a short term solution for powering up the 1MC stack (even just to test it) until power is restored to the whole switch board.  My only concern is blowing receptacle fuses.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:37:39 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »
I see the Gear.  I did not inspect any further.  There is no telling what condition the motors/or hydrolics are like up there,  Not to mention the mechanics that will be involved...

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
The Fleet Type Submarine (Navpers 16160) tells how to switch to manual rigging of the planes.

There are some switches that have to be set and so on...I looked it up last night but can't remember most of it as I was just browsing.

I'll bring my printed copy on Saturday...maybe Vaughn, Rick and I can take a look.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »
I'm not too worried about the hydraulics, since that system only operated the pitch of the planes.  It sounds like the raising and lowering is strictly a transmission run by an electric motor.  I'm sure that they have to have an entirely mechanical bypass, in case of total loss of power and hydraulics.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
Here are photos of bow planes rigging, in particular the chain drive, all you have to do is find the right size chain, put it around the wheel and connect the chain ends, then find some really strong heavy people because it is going to be stiff. The same motor also runs the windlass so you need to make sure it is set up to rig the planes. good luck. If you need the photos of the gears under the deck let me know.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:19:40 PM »
I know which motor you speak of, now.  I think there is a clutch handle that tells the transmission/motor whether to operate the windlass or the dive planes.  I bet she'll be very stiff.  We should probably find all of the grease fittings that we can and grease it up, first.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »
Something else to consider here.  There is a oil pan under this moter.  It has been collecting Hydrolic fluid for some time.  Again we may need to look at the condition of the Hydrolics.......

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »
I understand your concern, but raising and lowering the planes is separate from the hydraulic system.  It's strictly supposed to be a transmission run by an electric motor.  It may be collecting transmission fluid.  If it's sticky and thick like syrup it's transmission fluid or oil.  If it's thin and watery like brake fluid, then it's hydraulic fluid.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:09:31 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor