Author Topic: welding equipment  (Read 10570 times)

Offline pekelney

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
welding equipment
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
Does anyone have any information on what welding equipment was aboard the submarines during WW II?  There was probably a standard Victor style gas welding torch, but was it in a kit? Which model?

rich

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: welding equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
There are times when an obvious question is asked and I sit back going "I never even thought of that..."
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:39:24 PM »
Dang Rich, I'm impressed with your vast knowledge of all things submarine, and even more with what stumps you! As Mike said, I've never even thought of that.

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »
lol...
Since he asked this question, I have been mulling it over every time I see a picture of a sub... which is a lot, considering they constitute my desktop wallpaper and login screen.

I wish I had an answer for Rich - there is nothing more I'd like to be than a "positive contributor" to problems like this one. However, pretty much everything lead I follow ends up to a document posted by none other than Rich... and as before, my time frequently gets consumed with reading all sorts of fascinating facts about the sanitary system or starting procedures for the diesels. :D
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 02:50:41 AM »
Rich,

I honestly have no idea what kind of welding equipment that they carried and honestly I can't remember what we carried on the USS Honolulu SSN 718 from '91-'94 when I was onboard her.

Darrin

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »
I'm sure it must have been "submerged arc"..........Ba dum bump.... ;D

Offline Jay Boggess

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »
For what its worth, I remember from the U-505 tour booklet from 40 years ago that they had the capability for arc-welding via equipment in the motor room.

Jay Boggess