0 (0%)
Operation Pacific
2 (9.1%)
Below
0 (0%)
Down Periscope
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: What is your favorite sub movie?  (Read 28812 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: What is your favorite sub movie?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »
Watched "Run Silent, Run Deep" the other night for the first time.  I just was not impressed like I thought I'd be.

However, "Das Boot" is slowly becoming one of my all time favorites!  I have an itch for the uncut version.  What I really really want is the Das Boot Soundtrack, but the darn thing is impossible to find.

chris

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »
DID YOU KNOW THAT DAS BOOT WAS A MINI SERIES IN GERMANY AND MADE INTO A MOVIE.ALSO AS FOR RUN SILENT,RUN DEEP NED BEACH DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE BASED ON HIS BOOK

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 10:20:13 PM »
DID YOU KNOW THAT DAS BOOT WAS A MINI SERIES IN GERMANY AND MADE INTO A MOVIE.ALSO AS FOR RUN SILENT,RUN DEEP NED BEACH DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE BASED ON HIS BOOK

Yeah, and I currently have the "Director's Cut" of Das Boot, which cuts a good bit from the original series.  Eventually I'll get the uncut version and find 6 hours or so to watch it fully.

I have the book "Run Silent, Run Deep" but I didn't read it yet.  Something about the movie just didn't appeal to me, and it also seemed to end abruptly.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:11 PM »
didn't appeal to me,

I liked it for the accuracy of the submarine used.  Everything seemed to be about right, except the bridge was cut back and no 40/20 mm's

Yeah, the story was a bit, but that's Hollywood for ya.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

chris

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »
THERE IS A MOVIE CALLED SUBMARINE COMMAND WITH WILLIAM HOLDEN,I HAVE NOT SEEN IT IN YEARS AND CAN NOT FIND IT ON DVD OR VHS.DOES ANYONE KNOW WAS IT EVER AVAILABLE ON TAPE.ALSO,WHAT SUB WAS USED IN THE MOVIE

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
Chris:

"Submarine Command" is actually one of my favorite too. They spent a lot of time in and on a real fleet boat filming it. I don't know which boat it was filmed on, offhand.

I did purchase a copy of it on DVD from a guy who basically recorded it off of American Movie Classics. It still looks OK and is fun to watch. I can't remember who it was but I might suggest Googling "Submarine Command" + DVD

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
RUN SILENT -- READ THE BOOK!!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
Like you, I was turned off by the movie "Run Silent..." and as a result never read the book. What a suprise when I was encouraged to read the book by Ned Beach, who did not like what Hollywood did to his book. When I finally read it (just last year) I couldn't put it down!  Night and Day!

It really puts you in the wardroom of a fleetboat in the early stages of the the war.  And is something Hollywood couldn't film. They needed action and a simplistic plot.

Read the book!  And then try to match the ficticious boat names with the real boats he is referring to!

BTW:  I have the 4.7 hour uncut Das Boot...  more nose picking, digging toejam out of their feet, etc. Not much plot missing. Great movie!  Also have a copy of Submarine Command. What boat was used? Well good luck with the answer, since they had a nest of dozens of reserve fleet boats in mothballs to use! May have used several. But it is the ONLY sub movie to use actual sub INTERIORS... the others may have used topside images, but used sets for the interiors. Not so with Sub Command. Too bad the plot is hokey (and borrows Fluckey's WWII invasion force for KOREA!).
 >:(

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »
I'll give reading the book a try.  I was thinking that the movie wasn't up to par with Ned Beach's style of writing.

chris

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 06:56:45 PM »
SUBS IN MOVIES GRAY LADY DOWN-TROUT SS566,THE FROGMAN-SEA POACHER SS406,HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER-HOUSTON SSN713 AS THE DALLAS,ICE STATION ZEBRA-USS RONQUIL,MOVE OVER DARLING-USS BLACKFIN,MURPHY'S WAR-USS TILEFISH,NOON SUNDAY-USS RAZORBACK,THE PRIVATE NAVY OF SGT.O'FARRELL-USS CHOPPER,20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA-USS REDFISH,BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA-USS ASPRO,THE COLONEL AND I-USS REMORA,CRASH DIVE-USS MARLIN AND MACKEREL,DESTINATION TOKYO-SOME R BOAT,DOWN PERISCOPE-USS PAMPANITO,ON THE BEACH(1959)USS VOLADOR,OPERATION PETICOAT-USS BALAO & USS QUEENFISH,PARRISH-USS JALLAO SS368,RUN SILEN,RUN DEEP-USS REDFISH(OPENING SHOTS),SUBMARINE COMMAND-USS STERLET SS392,TORA,TORA,TORA-USS CARBONERO SS337

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:40 AM »
SUBS IN MOVIES GRAY LADY DOWN-TROUT SS566,THE FROGMAN-SEA POACHER SS406,HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER-HOUSTON SSN713 AS THE DALLAS,ICE STATION ZEBRA-USS RONQUIL,MOVE OVER DARLING-USS BLACKFIN,MURPHY'S WAR-USS TILEFISH,NOON SUNDAY-USS RAZORBACK,THE PRIVATE NAVY OF SGT.O'FARRELL-USS CHOPPER,20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA-USS REDFISH,BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA-USS ASPRO,THE COLONEL AND I-USS REMORA,CRASH DIVE-USS MARLIN AND MACKEREL,DESTINATION TOKYO-SOME R BOAT,DOWN PERISCOPE-USS PAMPANITO,ON THE BEACH(1959)USS VOLADOR,OPERATION PETICOAT-USS BALAO & USS QUEENFISH,PARRISH-USS JALLAO SS368,RUN SILEN,RUN DEEP-USS REDFISH(OPENING SHOTS),SUBMARINE COMMAND-USS STERLET SS392,TORA,TORA,TORA-USS CARBONERO SS337

USS Silversides was used in the movie "Below".

And I have read that the USS Blueback was used in the movie "The Hunt For Red October" but I'm not sure which parts.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »
On another note, I watched "Below" and "The Enemy Below" this weekend.

"Below" is a spooky movie...it's decent for a view.  I realized that this is where Ducimus got his sound effects for his Trigger Maru mod in Silent Hunter 4 for those of you familiar with the game mod.

"The Enemy Below" was a good movie about a US destroyer stalking a U-boat.  I wonder if the feelings shown in the movie were even close to what was experienced then.

chris

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »
THE INTERIOR SHOTS OF THE RED OCTOBER WERE IN FACT THE USS BLUEBACK.MANY OF THE BLUEBACK CREW WERE USED AS RUSSIAN SAILORS

Offline Gman

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
Down Periscope, Up Periscope.
The worst submarine movie that went directly to dvd was "Under Seige". OMG, that was a really bad movie.

:crazy2:

chris

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »
Gman,
           YES YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY.UNDER SEIGE WAS THE WORST SUBMARINE MOVIE EVER MADE.IT MUST HAVE HAD A BUDGET OF $1.99

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »
Once again, really old thread.  Voted for Down Periscope!  Why?  UNTIL that movie I hadn't realized there were any WW II boats still "floating" with deck guns and all.  Of course this didn't hurt either.  Did they paint the Pamp "rusty" and then just un-paint it?