Author Topic: Radar License Inquiry  (Read 16468 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Radar License Inquiry
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
I emailed the FCC about the Batfish radar.  I want to know if we need a license and what kind to operate it.  I told them that the boat already has an amateur club call sign, that it is on dry land, and that the set is an antique (circa 1945) and may be one of a kind - I don't know of many SS radar sets in existence, let alone operational.

For a real ship, it would have to have a certain type of license (PG, DM, T1, or T2) and then someone on board would also have to pass a radar theory/operation exam, which would add a caveat/addendum to the license saying that the ship is licensed to repair and operate radar.

I will let you know what the FCC says.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Radar License Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »
IMHO - sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Assume that we get the RADAR working...who's going to take the test?  How much is a license going to cost the museum (or individual).

I hope I'm wrong, but this could be opening a can of worms...when we don't even know if it will work again.

What we really don't need is more government regulatory control...again...IMHO.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »
I'd like to suggest checking with some Cobia-types, including the gent who got their SJ back in working order.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »
Mark A.,

I agree that more government is always bad.  However, the FCC is a stickler about transmiters and all you need is someone with an old TV antenna to complain about radar interference and the next thing you know the FCC is slapping a fine on the museum.  A visitor to the boat may also rat us out, if they know enough about radio licensing and realize that we're operating without a license - some of these guys won't think twice about making that phone call - 1984 anybody?  The current FCC commisioner has made it his Holy Grail to hunt down illegal transmitting activity.  They sniff out and fine people all of the time using direction finding (DF) equipment - illegal amateur radio and C.B. traffic is a constant problem.  Even two ham radio operators can sniff out a transmitter using directional antennas from their vehicles - called fox hunting.

I did emphasize to the feds that the unit was non-operational and we were only guessing that some day it would be working again. 

I think I already asked the Cobia about operating their radar.  I didn't get a definitive answer.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:02:43 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
Wow this is a biggie.   

I as that you all let me know before you all start stirring up the politicians.  I already have 1 state rep 2 senators and a EEOD rep hammaring Washingto about a 30 foot peice of steal that we are trying to get.   I also need to know what projects you all are picking up before you take them on.   This is to make sure that we do not step on anyones toes.   

Mark S
I caution you on taking on too many projects at once.  It is very easy to do and I do not want to see you get burned out.  I already have you on the 1MC, setting up the antena as well as working on the reenactors crew.   Remember the deck project, at the end of May....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:27:22 PM »
I'm used to working with the government and any time that they get involved, things get dragged waaaayyyy out.  I "stirred the pot" with the FCC, because it will take them a while to respond and it gives us one more piece of the puzzle for future reference.  I didn't want to give the impression that I was going to start ripping the radar apart next week.  I apologize for not clearing the contact with you, first, though. 

As for 1MC, I'm holding of on that until we get work benches set up in the battery compartment.  I want to dismantle the monster and work on it down there.  it will be my "come and go" project as I get time and materials to replace certain things.  I will probably rip out Amplifier A and get it working, first.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:02 PM »
Mark A
I forgot where we were talking about the crew pic.  I could not read the name.  One is definately there,  but it it written in black ink on a dark part of the pic. 

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »
Mark A
I forgot where we were talking about the crew pic.  I could not read the name.  One is definately there,  but it it written in black ink on a dark part of the pic.

Thanks...I'll pass that along.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Still no word from the FCC, but no news is good news.  They're obviously too busy to care about us and I don't intend to ask them, again.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
The FCC finally wrote back to us and they don't want to get involved with the radar.  Here is exactly what they wrote to me in an email:

You are receiving this email in response to your inquiry to the FCC.

Dear Mr. Sarsfield,

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration's (NTIA) Office of Spectrum Management (OSM) is responsible for managing the Federal Government's use of the radio frequency spectrum.

The FCC does not license Federal Government agencies or the U.S. military. Licensing, frequency allocation, and call signs for federal agencies and the military services are handled through the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) in conjunction with Interdepartmental Radio Advisory Committee (IRAC).

NTIA
14th & Constitution Ave, SW
Washington, DC 20230
202-482-1132
202-482-0599 (IRAC)

You can not use the amateur call sign with a marine radio.

Rep Number            : TSR54

Not sure why they threw that last statement in there.  I never mentioned marine radios.  The vintage radio equipment on the Batfish would be considered amateur radio gear at this point, provided that it transmits within certain amateur radio bands.  Receivers don't need licenses.

I have never dealt with the NTIA nor the IRAC.  Not really sure if we want to, at this point.

Anyway, I will forward the email to Rick for safe keeping.  If the FCC decides that some day that they want to butt their noses into our business, we'll wave this email under their big nose.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
Another thought.  Talk to Mike Anderson at the Muskogee air field just before we fire this thing up.  If anyone will complain it will the the airfields.  That way he knows a little bit about what is going on and if there is a problem we do not piss them off more by makeing them look for it.

Rick

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »
Another thought, if this is restored back to original specs, tha average range wasn't more than about a mile depending on weather conditions etc.. I have connections with Muskogee Davis Field thanks to the military and will stop by and talk to them before long. It shouldn't screw with their ATC or radar as long as it's not on their same frequency. I have all of my flight maps out spread around me looking at all the frequencies. I'll make a list of all the surrounding, ATC and Military frequencies in that area. We need to watch the Military ones as well since the "Fish" is along the flight path my unit takes to Camp Gruber.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
Correy,

JP-1a radar went out about 30 miles on a good day.  Was definitley worse on lousy days.  We have SS-2 radar on board, though.  I'm sure a lot of improvements were made to radar by then.  I would assume a transmission/interference radius at least 40 to 50 miles.  Frequency will definitely be key.  We don't want to jam the military's surface or air radar. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
I'll check with Tinker to find out what freqs. they use so we don't jam them either. The army boys (and even Gruber) don't have a radar system but they do have a system that picks up radar signals and compares it to a database of known signatures. We might be mistaken for a MANPAD or enemy SAM and I really don't want to be mistaken for one of those. We need to find out what frequency it emits and check it through the FAA from the standpoint that we may need to get a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) when we plan on using it.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
OK guys,  If I see blackhawks or f15's straffing the deck, I WILL NOT BE ON BOARD.   My loyalties only go so far.     :2funny: