Author Topic: Radar License Inquiry  (Read 16449 times)

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
Re: Radar License Inquiry
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
And miss that type of photo op?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »
Am I reading too much into this that someone may be close to get this thing working???
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
I think that someone wants to try.

My concern is that we're on the flight path of the blackhawk unit in Tulsa when they're going to Gruber and we don't really know what frequencies we will be painting the state with and we might accidentally paint the hawks with the wrong freq. If they get a strong dose of the wrong frequency, there's a chance that we could freak out the fly-by-wire systems and turn one into a lawn dart.
If and when we get it working, even if it isn't required by the FCC, it needs to be operated by a trained person ONLY. We might also check with the FAA to see about adding a flight restricted area within a certain radius since the frequency can be changed by the operator. I don't want to be the one responsible for bringing down an aircraft. It isn't probable but it is possible.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
Food for thought folks, when you get to the point of powering it up and transmitting contact the airport tower so they can do a notice to aviators that you will be testing your radar system on this freq, that way no one freaks out and calls the FAA and FCC

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 12:18:27 PM »
I don't want to be the one responsible for bringing down an aircraft.

But think of the publicity   :D   ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, we might just go ahead and file a TFR below 1000 ft AGL for the area on the day we intend to test it out. This should make doubly sure that no one accidentally stumbles into a test. I'll also alert my unit so they don't fly through doing an MTF or something.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
What unit are you with???? I was a 15 X,Y instructor at Eustis for a while (still here but not teaching anymore)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »
REALLY??? I had a couple of X-Rays as roommates at Eustis. I took the 67 (now 15 T) classes. I'm with B co. 2/285th Air Assault out of Tulsa. I've been a crewchief with them for about 7 years. I can't really remember my instructors names, I think SFC Bowers was my senior instructor if I remember right. I was in C co. 1/222 and going through classes when the hurricane hit about 7 years ago. Wow, small world.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 07:57:55 AM »
I came here the first time for 68X training 10 years ago and came back 4 years ago to teach 68 X, Y and transition course to Y.. I have had students from Okla come through and was wondering if I was one of your instructors. Good luck with the Batfish, come on over to the school of the boat posts and catch up.. I don't teach down to anyone and every tuesday there is a new one (IF I can make the time) The TM (Tech Manual not Torpedoman for all of you Navy folks)  that we use for this is available online and that is at www.hnsa.org and that is the fleet submarine manual and this is an open book school of the boat with the forum open for all to answer on. And yes I am qualified on submarines also

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
Where do I find the school of the boat? I have about 30 other guys that need to take your class too. I may start pushing them over your way.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
from the main forum page, look for "Submarine Related Chatter"

You'll see "Child Board" and the link to the School of the Boat page.

Mark A.