Author Topic: Newspaper article  (Read 9344 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Newspaper article
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
Just wanted everyone to see this article, as it is ironic that New Zealand is recognizing our WWII subvet before our own papers do. Enjoy.
Here is the link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10506090
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper article
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Very nice article.  It gets to the point very quickly and does a good job of summing up what they were against.  We can debate all day whether Japan had the resources to ever invade Australia, but that doesn't reduce the importance of what the U.S. silent service did.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
Wow.
This is just amazing on so many levels.   First, it is very rare that another country stands up and recognizes what America has done for them.  Too many times we see american troops go in and sacrifice their lives for another countries freedom to be told to get out just sortly afterward.   Second, it is sad that another country can stand up and recognize our own solders and when our own nation cannot recognize what they do for us.   

What more can I say...

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
Well said Rick....
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »
Very well said. 

I contacted a local newsstation about the the U.S.S. Grayling (the sub that Colorado SubVets were given to honor) the date she was sunk, and they did not even report on it.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:16:07 AM »
CO is liberal land.  It will be interesting to see what chaos results from the Democratic primary there. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:35:46 PM »
Well, I emailed two local Tv newsstations, so hopefully they will pick up the story and run it. I also hope they will come out to the U.S.S. Grayling memorial the Colorado subvets are having.

Oh by the way Rick, the subvets out here asked if I wanted to be an associate member of the submarine veterans. :)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »
Well, I emailed two local Tv newsstations, so hopefully they will pick up the story and run it. I also hope they will come out to the U.S.S. Grayling memorial the Colorado subvets are having.

Oh by the way Rick, the subvets out here asked if I wanted to be an associate member of the submarine veterans. :)

All you need is a sponsor.  Bill Lee got me all set up as an associate member of the USSVI Lockwood Internet Base.

http://www.lockwoodbase.com

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »
Yea, the Rocky Mountain base treasurer said he would be my sponsor. It is an honor.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
Travis,
Cool Beans.....

Sounds like I need to talk to Nick and find out more.   

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I need a sponsor, as I would also like to join.  Maybe Bill will hook me up, too.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »
Anyone with a sponsor can join the USSVI.  You just pay your dues and you are set.  A USSVI member can only sponsor 1 associate member.

You also have the option to join a base, just pay your dues to the base and you are set.

This confused me a little when I first started.  You can join the USSVI alone or join the USSVI and a base as well.  You may have a local base you want to join up with, or you might want to join an internet base.  There are 2 internet bases, Lockwood Internet Base is one of those.