Author Topic: Visting the Razorback  (Read 28231 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Visting the Razorback
« on: May 11, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
Their website shows only "winter" hours of Fri/Sat/Sun...I will be thru Little Rock on May 29th (Thursday) and would like to stop by.  Anyone know anything about this?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Visting the Razorback
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »
I thought that we had a Razorback rep. on here, but I guess not, since this is the first post.  I have run into a volunteer on www.subsim.com, but I don't remember his screen name.  Let me post a message over there and see who replies.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »
I thought that we had a Razorback rep. on here, but I guess not, since this is the first post.  I have run into a volunteer on www.subsim.com, but I don't remember his screen name.  Let me post a message over there and see who replies.

TY!   :)

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »
I sent them an email and they responded...guided tours, we'll be there the 29th thinking of you all  :D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »
Okay.  I posted a message on subsim for the main purpose of trying to reel in a contact to post on this website on a regular basis, but I made it sound like we need information on the boat.   ;)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
I talked to someone named Greg Stitz (gstitz@aimm.museum)

I'm going to email him tonight and put a link to this board.  At least he is someone that works there and can point us in the right direction to someone that would like to post here.

MWA

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »
Just sent Greg an email with a link to this site.  I asked him if there was anyone there that would like to participate.  I'll keep you posted...maybe he'll sign up.

MWA

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »
Greg replied. He was aware of this site, but with a staff of 2, he didn't have time to participate.  Hopefully Mark S's contact can fill this role.

FYI

Mark A.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »
The Razorback volunteer hasn't shown himself in my posting, yet.  Other people are keeping the post alive, though.  The strange thing about SubSim is that people disappear for a while.  I think they get burned out talking about the sub games too much.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »
Visited the RAZORBACK today...pretty nice, with lots of equipment.  They allowed us to get up into the sail.  They have a TBT up there...was thinking of a way to lower it over the side....  (just kidding...kinda).

Greg mentioned something about them getting a destroyer. 

I mentioned to him again about this website and he said that when the summer season starts that he'll have more time and will try to come on and take a look.

I hope Greg does.  He's a super nice guy and I think he would be a great addition to this board.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:07:30 AM »
Definitely.  We could always use more people on here.  More people equals more ideas and more leads to boat plans, equipment, etc.

So, was it weird looking at everything in Turkish?  Notice any unusual equipment that the Turks installed or did they pretty much keep it as we gave it to them?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
So, was it weird looking at everything in Turkish?  Notice any unusual equipment that the Turks installed or did they pretty much keep it as we gave it to them?

Not everything was in Turkish.  They had some things configured differently (i.e. one engine in the forward room), bunks were slightly different, latter to conning tower was facing aft instead of port, etc...  Some things were still in English.  It wasn't entirely different, but wasn't quite the same either.  Overall, I'd say it was the same (except for the sail) and it was cool to see the torpedo loading hatches and having to enter/exit thru the real hatches and not from stairs.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »
... and having to enter/exit thru the real hatches and not from stairs.

Wait, are you saying that you enter and exit the sub through the original hatches?  Like the Cod?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
That's cool.  How operational is everything?  When was the last time that the Turks motored out to sea in it?

I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't had changed a whole lot ontheboat, since it was designe dand buitl in the 40's and changing a system would require a major overhaul.  I do find it surprising that they only had 3 diesel engines.  Was something else taking the place of where the 4th one was or was it an open deck?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
ait, are you saying that you enter and exit the sub through the original hatches?  Like the Cod?

Affirmative.  It was sooooooo cool.

That's cool.  How operational is everything?  When was the last time that the Turks motored out to sea in it?  I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't had changed a whole lot ontheboat, since it was designe dand buitl in the 40's and changing a system would require a major overhaul.  I do find it surprising that they only had 3 diesel engines.  Was something else taking the place of where the 4th one was or was it an open deck?

I'm not sure on if it was operational or not.  They have the screws on display there at the museum and the sign says they were removed before it was brought over.  The extra space seemed to be a work area.