Author Topic: Pictures!  (Read 18478 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Pictures!
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »
Please feel free to show pictures of your favorite submarine museums.

Here's mine from my USS Drum visit in October 2007:

http://www.snakeyez.us/photos/battleshippark2007/index.php
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:32:56 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »
Can you explain why they have pictures of President Kennedy and a nuclear submarine inside a WWII sub? lol.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »
Can you explain why they have pictures of President Kennedy and a nuclear submarine inside a WWII sub? lol.

:)  You'll have to ask Drumvol down in the Drum board.  That sounds like a good question!

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:25:47 AM »
The Drum served as a reserve training boat from 1947 to 1967 in Washington, D.C., hence the picture of Kennedy. The Nuc boat pictures are of the FA Drum and the Missle sub Alabama honoring their service. within a couple of years we are hoping to have a submarine memorial walkway in the Pavillion (aircraft Hanger) and all items not related to the Drumm (WWII) will be moved to there.
Tom Bowser

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
The Torsk served under Kennedy was well.  There is no picture of Kennedy on the Torsk but she did act as picket during the Cuban Missile Crisis. 
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »
Ok, I was not sure if you were tryin  to keep it as WWII as possible, or if you wanted it to stay as it was throughout her service.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »
We are trying to get it back to WWII as much as possible but until we get an off boat display area we have to compromise a little. Also the only real safe display area at the park is on the Drum.
Tom

Offline K0EFV

• Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »
Lance:
I have Hi Res. pics of the USS COBIA at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.  I only have dial-up capabilities.  Is  the best way to send them to you by using the insert button  when replying. I have 3 right now and would like to try this method on one of the photos.  I do not have a web site to put them on.  I hate to reduce the dpi and want to avoid sending large files over a dial-up connection.  If it would be better I can put them on a disk if you have a mailing address for that purpose.  I have other photos of the Cobia's radar scope displays after restoration of the equipment.  At any rate disks are cheap  and disposable.  I will now attempt to send one photo as an insert to this reply.  Who knows maybe it will work.  No it didn't.  I just don't know how to insert a jpeg photo file into  reply.
Tom USMC

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
Well, if you want to attach pictures to a post, you "reply" and then at the bottom of the area you type your reply in there is an "Attach:" blank.  You hit the "Browse..." button and find the photo on your computer, click on the photo, and choose "Open".  Then hit the "Post" button at the bottom.

If you don't have an account for an online photo album place, you ought to make an account on www.photobucket.com and it's easy to share lots of photos that way.

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
Thr file size was too big I will resize less than 128K
Tom USMC

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »
Tom,

Could you please email me the original, high-res pictures you have?

submarinemuseums@gmail.com

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »
Lance:
I tried that but the email wont work unless I install Windows Live.  It says mine is not set for (HTTP).  If you want I would be happy to send them on A disk if you have a mailing address.  In meantime I will try to install Windows Live to replace Windows Mail.  Also I could put some other photos on the disk. 
Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 09:40:42 AM »
Lance:
I tried that but the email wont work unless I install Windows Live.  It says mine is not set for (HTTP).  If you want I would be happy to send them on A disk if you have a mailing address.  In meantime I will try to install Windows Live to replace Windows Mail.  Also I could put some other photos on the disk. 
Tom USMC

That's a lot of trouble for you, but if you'd like to mail 'em, I'll pass you my mailing address.  It's up to you!

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:42 AM »
Lance:
No problem I find if I use my MSN regular email I can send photos just fine .  When I do an email from inside the forum it takes me directly to "Windows Mail" which can't handle HTTP.  I will be emailing you some photos but maybe one or two at a time for my slow dial up time.  If you would like the mailing address would be fine as I have may photos already on disks.
Thanks for your patience with this old Marine
Tom USMC

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »
Lance:
No problem I find if I use my MSN regular email I can send photos just fine .  When I do an email from inside the forum it takes me directly to "Windows Mail" which can't handle HTTP.  I will be emailing you some photos but maybe one or two at a time for my slow dial up time.  If you would like the mailing address would be fine as I have may photos already on disks.
Thanks for your patience with this old Marine

I know how the dialup is...I have to use dialup at work.  :(  I hate it.

Just email me whatever pictures you'd like to email you.  Are they pictures that you took?  Or if I wanted to use any of them on the site are they ok to do so?