Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 221644 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
Nice job fellas it looks very good! oh ya before i forget happy fathers day to yall dads out there
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2010, 09:04:55 AM »
Fred,

That's bare wood you're looking at.  It used to be darker but the sun has bleached it.  Rick has "petty officer candidates" coming out in August to pressure wash the flaking paint off the hull and to start painting.  We all agree that we want to get a coat of black paint on the laid deck before the wood rots out and all that hard work turns to dust.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »
I think the key is traffic.  We can't paint what we've put down yet because that is where our visitors walk.  My guess is that painting will have to wait until more of the deck (if not all of it) is installed to allow our guest to walk on 1/2 of it while the other 1/2 dries.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
Hey i just saw on newson6 that yall baught the Uss Oklahomas mast thats pretty cool..
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Mark A, and all otheres.

We have a temporary covering on that starboard hatch.  The visitors are on all new deck as of this week.  The Creek Kids are pulling up the last of the plywood and we will be shoring up the entrence area on the bow very soon.  This is a major milestone on the deck work. 

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
I will start an new topic on the OK Mast so everyone can follow...
Rick

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
It sounds like the deck is nearly complete rick good job i have a question though are yall gonna close the musem to do the painting on the hull?

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
No Closures are planed.  We will work arround the Visitor traffice wheneverna nd Where ever we can.   If I need to close for some unfortunatel reason, I will make an announcement....

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2010, 05:11:40 PM »
Mark,

When we have painted our deck on Torsk, we have marked off half of the deck and then painted it, after the boat closed we painted the other half so it was good and dry the next day for the tourista's. OR if you guys waited until the boat closed and then painted the entire deck (it takes an hour or so with rollers and a couple of guys working at the same time..

On the Honolulu (SSN 718) we closed one hatch and painted the forward end and then reopened it a couple of hours later and did the aft end, that process took about 6-8 hours because we were painting the whole hull above the water line at the same time, and it was easiest for us on the weekends to do it (used to piss my guys off when I told them we were working on Saturday)

Darrin.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
Many thanks to all who came out last Saturday.  Despite the heat and humidity, all the old deck has been removed from the Batfish.  We got most of the old brass bolts removed also.  All that is left is to remove the remaining bolts and prep the deck for the new wood.

Thanks to everyone that came out.  Next work day is August 21st.  I plan to be at the sub on the 31st to prep the deck supports and remove any remaining bolts.  I think Mark S. is coming also...so if you have some time, come out for a little while and lend a hand.

Thanks again to everyone to came out yesterday.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
Mark A and the crew just hit a major mile stone today.  the last of the old deck wood and hardware has been removed.  Now we just have to finish putting the new deck down. 

BZ Guys...

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
Way to go guys!!!  :) You've done an amazing job. I can't wait to see her in a couple of weeks!

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
Next Work Day is Saturday Sept. 18th @ 8 am

We are working the port side putting new deck down...or "filling the hole" as Rick puts it.

Every board down gets us closer to completion.

Should be a bit cooler....so come on out.

Mark

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »
I'll be there.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Put in some hours for me too. I'll be decorating for Sunday that day. Wow, 19 days and Skip's going to be plural.