Author Topic: Telephone Switchboard  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Telephone Switchboard
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »
Among my many requests, I have another.  I would like some pictures of a what the telephone switchboard looks like in the control room.  After reading through the desciption in the Fleet Type Submarine manual, Paragraph 16H3, I'm not sure if I have ever seen this animal. It may be one of the items that has gone missing over the years.  Sound-powered telephones are pretty useless without this switchboard.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Telephone Switchboard
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?
Tom bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »
That be it, me matey.  Aaargh!  Someone stole our switch board. >:(  So much for sound-powered phones. :-[

What about the sockets on the boat that have just a single hole in them and are covered with small screw caps? (Not to be confused with some of the sockets that have the electrical phone plugs). 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:19:43 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
Those are for the talker headsets.

The DRUM phone panel is marked "3-in. gun"   waaaay cool. That really dates the panel to orginal construction.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
So, how do the talker headsets differ functionally compared to the sound-powered telephones?  The sound-powered telephones convert noise to electrical energy and back again on the receiver end.  The talker headsets look like they striclty rely on sound waves - like talking through two tin cans on a string.  Is this a correct analogy?  I think Batfish has some of those, still.  They have a weird nipple on the end.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »
I am not exactly sure on this because I am a machinist mate but I believe the switch board just provided power for the station sector and bell. The heads sets didn't go thru the switch board. I may be wrong on all the above.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
The manual reads that certain rooms could be turned on and off with the switch board and also you could patch rooms together using the plugs on the switch board.  So, I inferred that the switch board was needed for any telephone communications.  The Batfish is missing all of it, but we do have the headsets for damage control.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
I have a couple of more handsets floating around the Batfish museum.  I have been saving them for the boat.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
They will be eye candy, since the telephone system has been all but removed.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 11:57:39 AM »
still a useful tool as the public think they used the hand sets to call home.   

Literally

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
The ignorance will always be present.  We can only hope that they know a little more when they leave than when they first showed up.

I always laugh to myself when I'm working in the con and I hear people trying to guess at what they're looking at in "officer country" on the boat.  They sound so sure of themselves. I always have to restrain myself from shouting down the hall to correct them.  Sometimes it provides some quality entertainment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
Remember one of our goals is to educate.   I want people to leave with a little more of an idea of what our solders and sailor went through during the time of war.  Do not hesitate to try and strick conversation with the visitors and to educate them.  Do not push the issue though.   I always try to assess the knowledge of the person that I am talking to and aproach it accordingly.  Obviously a retired seam man will know more then a washed out airman, but that just becomes an opertunity to learn....

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »
Once they come into the con I always say "hi" and tell them to feel free to ask any questions.  Some people take me up on the offer.  Many just say "thanks" and look around.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor