Author Topic: Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!  (Read 57979 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
This is Dave way out here in the Pacific Northwest and home to the USS Blueback.  She is part of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI).  The museum is usually closed on Monday's and a group of us go aboard and do whatever is needed to keep  her afloat and ready for the public.  I am a recent addition to the crew.  Some of the volunteers have been working on her for over 10 years.

Welcome aboard Dave!  I'm glad to see you here.  Please tell your Blueback friends about this place, and talk all about the Blueback on the Blueback board down below.  I'd love to hear more about it.

Offline Rontini

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:45:16 PM »
Hello troops. 
  The more people that know about all the boats, the better will be the attendance to them and hopefully the more funds will find their way in the many ongoing restoration efforts. 
  I need to remind all of the Restoration Supporter patch Lockwood Base of USSVI has.  For $7 you buy a patch from them and 100% of the net goes this year to help the Drum.  That might change in '09 or maybe not.  But any group can buy the patch in quantity for $4.50 and them mark it up to sell at their own locations to raise funds for their boat/museum. 
  Also we have developed a rocker that fits on top of the Restoration patch to show which boats you directly support or have visited.  Right now the Drum and the Cavalla have those rockers in the works. Hopefull the Silversides and Torsk people will take advantage of the program. 
  Looking forward to meeting the Cavalla people and Batfish types in Ft. Worth in September at National Convention.  Would like to meet the Bowfin guy one day also. 

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
Hello troops. 
  The more people that know about all the boats, the better will be the attendance to them and hopefully the more funds will find their way in the many ongoing restoration efforts. 
  I need to remind all of the Restoration Supporter patch Lockwood Base of USSVI has.  For $7 you buy a patch from them and 100% of the net goes this year to help the Drum.  That might change in '09 or maybe not.  But any group can buy the patch in quantity for $4.50 and them mark it up to sell at their own locations to raise funds for their boat/museum. 
  Also we have developed a rocker that fits on top of the Restoration patch to show which boats you directly support or have visited.  Right now the Drum and the Cavalla have those rockers in the works. Hopefull the Silversides and Torsk people will take advantage of the program. 
  Looking forward to meeting the Cavalla people and Batfish types in Ft. Worth in September at National Convention.  Would like to meet the Bowfin guy one day also. 

Thank you for joining up Ron!  I added a post down in the Drum board about the patches and SaveOurSubmarines.com.

I can't find anyone to contact via email about Silversides.  Do you know anyone to invite to here from there?  The Silversides is one of the sub museums I'd most like to visit someday.  Anything that has anything to do with "silversides.org" no longer works.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 02:14:26 AM »
Lance, here is an email address for the Silversides. Don't know who will answer it, but once you get a message to them, someone will surely put you in touch with the right people.
Bill
contactus@silversides.org
Lance wasn't thinking about which number the Silversides is.  Paul Kidd can help you. Here is his email address.
cob-ss424@comcast.net
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:26:26 AM by Viejo »
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
Lance, here is an email address for the Silversides. Don't know who will answer it, but once you get a message to them, someone will surely put you in touch with the right people.
Bill
contactus@silversides.org
Lance wasn't thinking about which number the Silversides is.  Paul Kidd can help you. Here is his email address.
cob-ss424@comcast.net

Cool, I will give the comcast.net address a try soon.

ANYTHING that has @silversides.org will bounce.  There are no email addresses or websites ending with @silversides that work anymore.

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 11:04:40 PM »
Dave, can you let us know who at your boat is good to talk to about the Blueback. Lockwood Internet Base  has a couple of things going on that might be of interest to those who work with the boats. LIB has a resotration patch with rockers avialable that can be sold to raise funds and indentify supporters of the museum boats and we also are working on a an informational display for the USSVI Conventon in the fall. We hope to get representatives from all the boats to be there and explain their boat, it's needs, and what is happening with it. Thanks,
Bill

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
Hello...Mark Allen here.  I am a volunteer at, and do the website for, the U.S.S. Batfish SS 310 (www.batfish.com).  Glad to see this site and a few other Batfish volunteers already here.  Thanks Lance for making the effort.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 12:44:25 AM »
Welcome aboard Mark. You have not met me, however I am a volunteer at the Batfish (Rick might have said something to you about the kid from Colorado who volunteers there, well that is me.)
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 01:10:27 AM »
Hello...Mark Allen here.  I am a volunteer at, and do the website for, the U.S.S. Batfish SS 310 (www.batfish.com).  Glad to see this site and a few other Batfish volunteers already here.  Thanks Lance for making the effort.

Great man, I'm glad to see you here.  Make sure you stick around!  There was something I really needed to ask you about the batfish.com but now I can't remember what it was.  Hmmm...I'll think of it.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »

I think the contact for the SILVERSIDES is Charley Roesch.  I have his email as: croesch@comcast.net

A nice guy that gave me and my brother a personal tour of the SILVERSIDES a few years ago.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
I FUBAR'd my own website earlier ::)

www.ussbatfish.com.  It was late and I was tired.

Yes Travis, we traded a few emails last year as I introduced you to Rick.  I'm sorry I couldn't make it down last summer (personal stuff) but will look for you this summer after you graduate.

Lance - thanks for the welcome.  I'll stick around as long as you'll have me.  I may be hit and miss until the summer...taking a night class and work always gets into the way of me having fun  ;D

Mark

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
I FUBAR'd my own website earlier ::)

www.ussbatfish.com.  It was late and I was tired.

Yes Travis, we traded a few emails last year as I introduced you to Rick.  I'm sorry I couldn't make it down last summer (personal stuff) but will look for you this summer after you graduate.

Lance - thanks for the welcome.  I'll stick around as long as you'll have me.  I may be hit and miss until the summer...taking a night class and work always gets into the way of me having fun  ;D

Mark

Oh, I completely forgot about that Mark. Well it will nice to meet you this summer.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline croesch

• USS Silversides Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Charley Roesch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
Hello from the USS Silversides, SS236, in Muskegon Michigan.  The Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum is alive and well and currently building a new permanent museum building.  I serve on the Board of Directors and try to learn as much as possible about submarines.  Currently, my main job at the sub is keeping the onboard audio/video systems working.  Otherwise, I'm a semi-retired anesthesiologist.  Anyone with questions about the Silversides, send me a note at croesch@comcast.net.  We have produced a 90 minute detailed video tour of the Silversides and a photo CD with 256 labeled photos if anyone is interested. 

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
Hello from the USS Silversides, SS236, in Muskegon Michigan.  The Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum is alive and well and currently building a new permanent museum building.  I serve on the Board of Directors and try to learn as much as possible about submarines.  Currently, my main job at the sub is keeping the onboard audio/video systems working.  Otherwise, I'm a semi-retired anesthesiologist.  Anyone with questions about the Silversides, send me a note at croesch@comcast.net.  We have produced a 90 minute detailed video tour of the Silversides and a photo CD with 256 labeled photos if anyone is interested. 

We are VERY glad to have you here Charley.  Please check in and post anything you'd like about the Silversides down in the Silversides board below.

I've just learned that she is the top in both tonnage and number of ships sunk of any of the submarine museum boats.

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Charley,
My name is Bill Lee from Lockwood Base. I am sending you an email. Thanks for checking in
Bill