Author Topic: Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!  (Read 57955 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »
Hi there!  I just put this place together today.  I hope it bears lots of fruit for the submarine museums.

A little about myself:
My name is Lance.
Also known online as snakeyez.
I'm 30, married to my wonderful wife Emily, no kids just yet.
I live in Mississippi and work as a consulting forester.
Never in the Navy.

Anyway, anything you want to know, ask it!

Enjoy the place,
Lance
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:19:55 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from snakeyez!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:32:56 PM »
Hey everyone,
Tom Bowser here. I am the full time volunteer on the Drum, full time as in 60-70 hours each week. I am retired and am devoted to saving and restoring the Drum. I am hoping that all musuem volunteers and people connected with the museums will use this board to help each other, we all need help. Any questions come on in.
Tom

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Travis  I am 17 and a volunteer at the U.S.S. Batfish SS 310. I live in Colorado, and volunteer at the Batfish while visiting my grandparents. However I hope to go to college in Oklahoma and work at the Batfish every weekend.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline BlackBeard

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
Hello all, I'm Sean and I'm a Capricorn. I like long walks...  Oops, wrong group. ;)
Thanks for doing this it is a good idea.
  Perhaps in the future the names of the museums (master list) can have links to their address, website, and contact info.  A lot of that information is on the USSVI website, perhaps you can borrow from there.
Not a criticism, just a suggestion.  Thanks for the effort!

Sean Keck
I guess everybody has some mountain to climb.
 It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet...

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »
Hello all, I'm Sean and I'm a Capricorn. I like long walks...  Oops, wrong group. ;)
Thanks for doing this it is a good idea.
  Perhaps in the future the names of the museums (master list) can have links to their address, website, and contact info.  A lot of that information is on the USSVI website, perhaps you can borrow from there.
Not a criticism, just a suggestion.  Thanks for the effort!

Sean Keck

For sure!  I plan to add lots and lots of more detailed information like that very soon.  I want people to have all the information they can get EASILY in front of them about these museums. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »
Hi everyone.  I've been doing WWII German reenacting since early 2005, but recently got involved with the Batfish when I moved to the Tulsa area in mid-07.  We had a good time doing an event for the tourists in December and I'm looking forward to May.  Our "Skipper" put together skits for the different compartments and it gave people a better idea of what life was like on a fleet boat.  I highly recommend this approach for the other museums and the WWII Navy uniforms are relatively inexpensive compared to other uniforms - you don't need helmets or field equipment, which helps a lot.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Bill and work with Lockwood Internet Base who Tom, Sean, and others belong to. I also keep up the sub memorials map on the USSVI site and work with the Boat Sponsorhip Program to make sure magazines come to each of the museum boats.  This site of Lance's is a great idea. We will be working with him to get all of you who work on the museum boats posting here, exchanging ideas, and finding ways to get more money and volunteers for your boats. As part of that, at LIB we also are selling a patch in wholesale lots that can be used by each museum boat to make some money for the boat. It can also help to identify those who support your boat.  USSVI has a convention this fall in Fort Worth and we are going to put up a big display for the museum boats. We'll be asking for help from you guys in putting this together. Email me with any questions or suggestions and I am sure some of the ideas we come up with will help others.
Thanks,
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
Just wanted to let people know I changed my profile name from SS 310 to my actual name. For those of you on subsim.com I am shoot-kill-win.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »
Hehe I did the same.  :)

Offline Charles R. Hinman

• USS Bowfin Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • The Pearl Harbor Avenger
    • View Profile
    • On Eternal Patrol
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
Aloha!

This is Charles Hinman, the Director of Education & Outreach at USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park in Honolulu, Hawaii.
I also run a website known as "On Eternal Patrol" (www.OnEternalPatrol.com).

Thank you for creating this forum.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »
Aloha!

This is Charles Hinman, the Director of Education & Outreach at USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park in Honolulu, Hawaii.
I also run a website known as "On Eternal Patrol" (www.OnEternalPatrol.com).

Thank you for creating this forum.

Wonderful!  I've visited the "On Eternal Patrol" many times, it's a cool read.

Someday, I hope to get to visit the Bowfin and stay in the Royal Hawaiian just like my grandfather did back in WWII.  :)

Stick around and post all you want about the Bowfin down in the Bowfin board.  Thanks for joining!

Offline medic375th

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 07:52:47 AM »
Hi All... I'm CJ from Manitowoc,WI and I am proud of the contibutions of the subs built in Manitowoc played in the Pacific. Especially the U.S.S. RASHER, which sank 18 vessels totaling 99,901 tons. RASHER was awarded four Presidential Unit Citations for her first, third, fourth and fifth War Patrols.  BTW excellent web site Lance

Offline crystal

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
Intro
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »
I always wanted to have a daughter that I could name Crystal Lee Clear, and when she grew up she could be an exotic dancer - fortunately cooler heads (read: various wives) prevailed!  But in the memory of that I chose "crystal" as an on-line I.D. on various boards (not all).  It used to get everyone excited imagining this exotic chick out there until they found out I was a crusty old, retired, diesel boat Chief.

Great job Lance!  As with Paul's comment  (the Cod), not sure what it can accomplish if their own group (HNSA) can't light a fire under these entities but at least you've centralized a place where the ones "who care" can check in and exchange thoughts and ideas.

I might recommend that you add the Naval Undersea Museum even though they don't have a "full" submarine (only the Sturgeon's sail) but they do have the Trieste II and the Deep Quest in their parking area. let alone a hugely productive museum, research library and staff.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »
Hey Crystal..no mention of "cobra pupils" today?  :P

I'm just not sure what I want to add just yet.  Once you get outside of the listing of complete submarines as museums, the list gets HUGE!  There are zillions of places that have parts and pieces and partial submarines.

Just lookie at this whopper of a list:
http://www.esryle.com/coblinks/links/MUSEUMS.html

I just dunno.  I might try to add a "links" page with all of that kind of stuff listed in a similar fashion.  Right now I wanted to really focus on the submarines that are open to the public as museums as it seems they need the biggest push right now.

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:16:39 PM »
This is Dave way out here in the Pacific Northwest and home to the USS Blueback.  She is part of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI).  The museum is usually closed on Monday's and a group of us go aboard and do whatever is needed to keep  her afloat and ready for the public.  I am a recent addition to the crew.  Some of the volunteers have been working on her for over 10 years.