Author Topic: Paint  (Read 21542 times)

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Paint
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
Yes, rich people can be stingy people but they're also smart about their money. The problem unfortunately is that many military museums do not do a very good job of getting out their message and promoting the virtues of donating to their museum. That's one reason why the D-Day memorial in Virginia has been troubled. Donors need to see that their money is going to be well spent, so they need to see clean financial balance sheets. They need to see a genuine effort taking place. These are some of the reasons the Cavalla folks have gotten some major donations to bring that boat figuratively back from the dead. Sad to say, no one's going to sign big checks just in the name of patriotism or especially to anyplace that looks and feels like it's being run like a clubhouse.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 01:34:21 PM »
That's very true.  We're reaping the past sins of previous caretakers/clubhouse owners.  Rick has been doing a pretty good job of finding new alliances and help from places that weren't considered in the past. 

My dad's company, Grundfos, wants to help the Batfish, too.  They are currently mulling over the request for assisting us with a 250 VDC rectifier.  They enjoy the positive publicity from helping the community.  I told him that we need help in just about every area of the boat imagineable.  I told him to have them come down and see what it's all about.  It's the old puppy dog sales close.  Once you see it, you have to take it home... or help, in this case.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
Good on your dad and his company!

You know, one strategy is to take out a road atlas and ruler and measure how far away it is to the nearest historic ship of any kind and how unique Batfish is to Muskogee and the entire state.

What would be the closest? The battleship Texas? The ships at Mobile? Omaha?

Fred

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »
Judging from our map:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/map.html

the nearest submarine on display as a museum is the USS Razorback.  It is also a Balao class sub, but I'm sure it's been much more heavily modified than the Batfish.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
Good catch, Lance. I forgot about the Razorback. Anyone successfully gotten to see her yet?

Fred

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
Mark Allen and Rick have been out to the Razorback.  I haven't, yet.  I want to see all of the gauges in Turkish. :)  I am also curious to see what changes and improvements they came up with compared to some of our cold war fleet boats.

Every May they have a Medeival Renaissance in Muskogee and Rick says that that it usually brings in extra visitors to see the boat on the weekends.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »
Anyone successfully gotten to see her yet?

I'll be there on the 29th
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
I offered to paint the name of donators on the side of the boat like the good year blimp, Lesley won't let.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »
Yeah.  Just like NASCAR.   ;D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
Once again the benevolent Batfish Gods speak........  ;D

Sorry, had to do it.   Here is the most recent update on the boat paint.  I am working with a guy that owns  A Clean Environment.  This guy is a former submariner and seems to be very interested in the boat.  He has been out 2 time s now to look around and do his thing.  The first time he came it was just him and the second time he brought 3 of his crew members.  He is already talking about doing this over a 1 week period during October.  This guy worked in the Katrina releif effort and has several contacts with Sherwin Williams as well as other groups.  Both times he has been out here he told me that he had to do some thinking on this project and both times he has come back and not disapointed me.  His prognosis is not the greatest, about the conditionn of the superstructure, but he has not told me anything that I did not expect or already know.  With all that said,  I am playing him out to see what he can do.  I would not be suprised to see what he comes back with.   

As far as donations to painting the boat, they all need to be forwarded to the Batfish Memorial Foundation (www.ussbatfish.org) If someone/company wishes to make a large donation to the museum,  I will be more then happy to take that donation and place a lovely brass plaqueon the Batfish or even a large sign at the entrance stating the value of their support for the boat. 

John, talk to your guy.  Maybe he has a favorite uncle that was in the military.  this is a good way to get folks interested....

Rcik

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
As far as donations to painting the boat, they all need to be forwarded to the Batfish Memorial Foundation (www.ussbatfish.org)

Is http://www.ussbatfish.org supposed to work?

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »
It should.  I just checked the link and was not able to get there.  I will have to check with the foundation for more info on this.  An alternate link is http://www.orgsites.com/ok/batfishmemorialfoundation/index.html .  You can also get there from our web site.  just click on the memorial foundation buttone.

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »
http://www.ussbatfish.org/

That's going to be confusing...I hope they link to the submarine site from the foundation site   :idiot2:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
ussbatfish.org is not even purchased by anyone yet.  It's still available for purchasing...

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 12:06:20 AM »
I need to investigat this.  They did have the .org site for a while.  I am not sure what happened here. 

Mark A.  They do have a link to our site.  You do a better job though,  and that is not just fatherly pride...