Author Topic: Batfish Telephone System  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Batfish Telephone System
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
Rick,

Do you have any history on why the Batfish phone system is pretty much non-existent?  I mean there are almost no phones left on the boat and even the phone switch board that used to be mounted to the top of the scope housing next to the alarm contactors is gone.  The whole system has literally been removed.  Was this part of the wire theft that took place or did some other reprobates run off with it?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Telephone System
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »
unfortunately I do not.  I cannot say if this occured during her decom time before we received the boat or after when vandalism was so rampant in the sub.   I wish I had more info for you on this one.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Telephone System
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
It seems to be so systematic, that I wonder if the Navy did it - you don't even see cables laying around or hanging from the ceiling.  However, they did leave sevaral dial indicator wheels.  So, they must have done it in a hurry.

Different groups, like officer clubs, must have been taking dibs on certain parts of the boat before OK ended up with it - like the TDC.  I'm amazed that she still has most of her gear on board.  For some reason, the communication and alarm systems were the most impacted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 07:27:29 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy