Author Topic: In-car navigation GPS systems?  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
In-car navigation GPS systems?
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
Looking into in-car navigation GPS units.  Anyone have any advice of know of a good place to go learn/compare?  Thinking about a Garmin unit...

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Re: In-car navigation GPS systems?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:11:40 PM »
Lance, I use a Tom Tom.  It allows you to put in  a map of where you want to go or to make one as you go. It also alllows you to use it with a blue tooth phone, so you use the audio on it  for your phone and will copy your contacts from your phone, so you don't have to dail. If you live in a big city area, you can get other services like alternate routes based on traffic, weather, etc.  Mine has been reliable so far. It was about half the cost of a comparable unit from Garmin or one of those.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: In-car navigation GPS systems?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the input on it Bill.

After much investigation, we went with the Garmin Nuvi 260W.  I knew I wanted a unit that did text-to-speech (TTS) if we were going to purchase one.  The Nuvi 260W has a widescreen (which I found to be nice) and has the TTS.  So instead of saying "Turn right in 0.3 miles" it will instead say "Turn right in 0.3 miles onto Airport Boulevard", which is awesome!  With it reading the road name to you, you don't have to look so hard at the unit while driving.

We got the unit on sale (very good sale) at the local Radio Shack last week.  We took it to Mobile and it allowed us to find our motel, restaurants, stores, and a great movie theater.  This thing is GREAT for trips into places you've never been before.  It also calculates your arrival time based on your driving speed.

And if you miss your turn, it automatically recalculates a way for you to get back on track and tells you how to get there.

Our unit came with the 2008 map set, and registration of the unit with Garmin gives you 90 days access to download the newest map set, after which time updates are not free.