Author Topic: Standard Patrol Procedures - Diesel Engines  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Standard Patrol Procedures - Diesel Engines
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »
Guys,

I know that while on patrol the diesel boats would run two engines at best possible speed for ahead standard.  Do you know if they kept a third engine online in case they needed to dive?  It would take a little while to bring an engine online and standard operating procedure for a standard dive was to go to full speed and for a crash dive was flank speed.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline torskdoc

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Patrol Procedures - Diesel Engines
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »
 boats would shift to battery when the order to Dive went down. Give the snipes(2 in each room) as much time as possible to get the engines shut down, shut the main induction valve in each room, BOTH exhaust valves on EACH ENGINE, shift the fuel and oil pumps to slow speed, shut the cooling water valves on the sea chests, secure any aux. machinery in the room, etc., in less than 30 sec.  As the Electric Motors actually drove the shafts, all they needed was a source of Juice.  Battery was instantaneous, with speed changes as simple as turning the rheostats for the motors after shifting the bus from GEN to BATT.   

Usual procedure was prepare to dive (shut down the engine(s), shift to battery bus), Dive(turn the rheostats to full lock in emergency or whatever speed the OOD called up and get the hell down).  once down and trimmed, slow down to 1/3 bell, and power down all un-necessary loads. 

Stick out yer arm, It won't hurt Me a bit.......

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Patrol Procedures - Diesel Engines
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:22:51 PM »
That makes sense, Doc.  Not sure why I didn't think of that.  The answer was practically staring me in the face. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy