Author Topic: Current periscopes  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Current periscopes
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »
Tom, got a question for ya.

The periscope that is currently down a bit for viewing in the conn, is that the #1 scope, aka night or observation scope (the forward scope).  The periscope that is currently up in the well out of reach, is that the #2 scope, aka attack scope (the aft scope)?

If that is correct, is this how you've had them set up for a while?  Just trying to get my mind straight. 

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Current periscopes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »
Both scopes are identical and not the origianal scopes, they were some they dug up in 69 when the park got stewardship of the Drum
Tom Bowser

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »
Both scopes are identical and not the origianal scopes, they were some they dug up in 69 when the park got stewardship of the Drum
Tom Bowser

Well good grief.  That's odd.

I always assumed that you couldn't have 2 identical scopes.  I thought the attack periscope was much smaller in diameter than then night scope, so I figured you'd have to have just one of each.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
I bellieve both scopes were identical until the Mark 8 night scope with ST radar (X-band?) was introduced to the fleet in 1944.
 :tickedoff:

PF :idiot2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »
I bellieve both scopes were identical until the Mark 8 night scope with ST radar (X-band?) was introduced to the fleet in 1944.
 :tickedoff:

PF :idiot2:

Well thanks Paul, I learn something every day.  I had previously thought that the whole purpose of the #2 scope was the fact it was smaller in diameter and left a smaller feathering trail, hence it was called the attack scope.  Wow!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:38:46 AM »
The originals were both small, is what I think Paul is saying.  The night scope has a bigger head with the range radar.  Everything is redundant on most weapon systems and it makes sense for them to give a boat two scopes, even if the were originally the same design.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:56:08 AM »
I see, I see.  How interesting.  I knew the range radar came later, but I didn't realize it somewhat brought along with it a new periscope.  Cool.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
On WestPac '91 we used an attack scope from the late '40s early '50s and it was neat as hell to play with because when we first got it we all got our chance to act out parts of RSRD and Destination Tokyo while on the mid watch below decks, the logs on that scope were long and distinguished, wished like hell I would have had the forsight to copy the logs on that scope for future use. :-[  but those are now a thing of the past due to technoligy.