Poll

Should we use Feb 1945 as our target Restoration Date?

yes
5 (83.3%)
No (specify when)
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: set your restoration date  (Read 15365 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
set your restoration date
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion as to what we shoudl restore and how we should restore it.  I believe that we need to pick a target date for restoration and work to get the Batfish to look as close as possible.   I picked Feb 1945 as that is we sank our 3 subs on 2/11, 2/12, and 2/13 of 1945.   Your opinion is welcome.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: set your restoration date
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
I'd assume you have a copy of the war patrol reports that state what was done between each patrol as far as refitting goes?  I (myself) would think that any sub would look terrific with the "end of the war" look.  Any major changes between February of 1945 and the end of the war?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
Rick,

You'll only get a few votes on here (I voted, anyway).  You'd get a lot more votes by creating a poll on the Batfish Yahoo! group.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fwd-Torpedo-Franklin

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »
What were the major differences in the boat from say '43 to early '45 ? Seems that making it into '45 configuration would somewhat limit out earlier war events if we wanted to go the complete "stich counter" way...Then again '45 is when the boat "earned its fame" so that would be the best for the boat...The public wont notice the minor differences anyway when we do earlier stuff...So im for '45....
Seaman Travis Franklin
Torpedo's Mate, Forward Torpedo Room.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »
In '43 there was a 4" deck gun mounted forward of the bridge and the long wire antennas were aft, for starters.  By the end of the war these items were reversed, plus other equipment was upgraded, like the surface and air radars. 

You're right that the public won't knwo or care if the date that we reenact matches the boat configuration.  This is more for restoration sanity.

If and when we get a deck gun mounted, we could write a script for attacking some sampans with all of the deck and bridge guns.  I would like to see the AA guns and maybe the deck gun modified to fire gas - gas guns.  Even better for the deck gun would be to use 3" salute cannon blanks that could be loaded and ejected.  All pie in the sky right now, but doable.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
What were the major differences in the boat from say '43 to early '45 ? Seems that making it into '45 configuration would somewhat limit out earlier war events if we wanted to go the complete "stich counter" way...Then again '45 is when the boat "earned its fame" so that would be the best for the boat...The public wont notice the minor differences anyway when we do earlier stuff...So im for '45....

Welcome to the forum Fwd-Torpedo-Franklin!  Are you a Batfish volunteer?

Offline Acoupa

• On Eternal Patrol
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:27:40 AM »
I vote for the second decommission , If we are trying to be authentic this will be the only restoration that can be authentic due to the permanent apperance changes made to her, such as to the bridge  and sail area. I would like to see the deck gun replaced. Although this would not be authentic to this configeration.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
What is different about the sail, other than that ugly platform on the SD mast?  Some of us would like to see that thing disappear.  The forward smoking deck was bigger than it is, now, but it's not as noticeable with only a 20mm mount.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:32:09 PM »
Some of us would like to see that thing disappear.

Put it on your to do list and get rid of it. 

My 2 cents is that we get the deck done and then revisit this.  There has been too much "I'd like to see this" and "I'd like to see that" when hardly anyone shows up to help.  I challenge everyone to come out and sweat a little getting this done.

43-44-45, it really doesn't matter much, the changes are listed on the patrol reports on the Batfish website.  The main problem will be getting anyone out there to do the work.  If you want a bigger forward cigarette deck, then talk to Vaughn about making one.  Then we can put another 40 on it...if you can find one.  What about the deck gun?  all we have at the park is a 3" gun.  Be my guest trying to find a 4" or 5".

The majority of people aren't going to notice or care.

Oh, and I was at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola on Tuesday.  Do you know they have over 300 volunteers?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:58:17 PM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:41 AM »
Working on the deck gun.  I made a contact in San Francisco.  He's getting some base POCs out there.  Apparently, they have two wet-mount 5" guns and Paul F. led me to them.  Once we convince the vets out there to give us the gun, the rest is paper work.

I agree that if you don't show up to help, you have no business asking for "favors".  I thought that it was a little pathetic that only four of the reenacting crew was there last weekend to work on the deck.  We would have had everything finished forward of the FTR stairs, if 4 more crew members had shown up.  Part of it was planning the work over a holiday weekend.  Especially Memorial Day when summer vacation officially kicks off.

I wouldn't mind climbing up the SD mast to remove the platform.  We just need a crane to keep it from falling once the bolts and welds are loosened.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »
I agree that if you don't show up to help, you have no business asking for "favors".  I thought that it was a little pathetic that only four of the reenacting crew was there last weekend to work on the deck.  We would have had everything finished forward of the FTR stairs, if 4 more crew members had shown up.  Part of it was planning the work over a holiday weekend.  Especially Memorial Day when summer vacation officially kicks off.

Maybe you make it a requirement that they come out at least 4 times a year (or other time frame).  I understand what you do and why you do it, but there should be some "put back" into the sub or it won't be there to do what you do.  Maybe your re-enactors could be a "refit" crew one time while the sub is in drydock and let everyone know that this time, we are the relief crew.  Just an idea.  My 2 cents (again) is that if you want to come out and enjoy the "spoils", you need to contribute back.

I wouldn't mind climbing up the SD mast to remove the platform.  We just need a crane to keep it from falling once the bolts and welds are loosened.

Yeah, that's a must cuz it would fall right down on the 40mm...maybe thru the deck...and then Rick wouldn't let us come back.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »
Correy actually set up last weekend as a 1944 Refit Crew event ... and then he realized that he couldn't make it in early/mid April and it snow-balled from there.  Other people had other reenacting commitments and they started dropping off one by one.  A few people had work conflicts, which you can't do anything about.  I'm starting to notice that for some folks the Batfish is sort of a side show and that the hard core dedicated folks are a small band.  Back in January Correy set up a poll on the Yahoo! group forum asking everyone how often we wanted to hold events on the boat.  I was one of the few that said 3 or more times per year.  Most people voted for 2 events and a few voted for once a year.

In addition to a hole in the aft cigarette deck, someone is sure to get hurt.  He estimated the weight at several hundred pounds.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »
All Volunteers,  check your email.......

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
I haven't seen anything, yet.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »
check your email.......

received and understood....and I agree 100%.

I gave some feedback...all positive, at least I meant it as positive.   :D