Author Topic: Periscopes Repairs  (Read 59700 times)

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Periscopes Repairs
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
The Type 2E was used on the 594 Class Fast Attack Submarine. A tragic story is that the Class was going to be known as the "SSN-593 THRESHER Class". After the loss of the THRESHER sixty years ago, on April 10 1963 during sea trials, submarine production was stopped and a new SUBSAFE requirement was put into place. At that time the Class designation was changed to the SSN-594 PERMIT Class. The THRESHER would have had a Type 2E installed when she went down.

Trainer Periscopes were a separate design completely different but made to look like a tactical periscope. I installed and maintained about twelve of that design during the 1980's and 90's 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
For anyone that's curious, this is how we have our scopes propped up.  I'm assuming that these posts are holding up the scopes in conjunction with shims, but we may not have any shims at all.  I don't know what the wall thickness is on the posts.

EDIT: Jim was at the boat today and said that both scope ID plates are M.I.A.  Probably stolen by vandals.   :knuppel2:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:33:20 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2013, 01:15:32 AM »
Here are Batfish's data plates.........None.  It is mighty dark up in there too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:19:31 AM by Jim »

Offline Lapinski

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
The next time anyone is in the vicinity of the BATFISH periscopes please look carefully around the bottom of the Eyepiece Box. There should be a four digit Registry Number manually stamped into the casting. You will have to look carefully because it will/may be painted over. It is usually located below the viewing window. If you can find the information I may be able to provide type and date of delivery information even though the nameplates are missing .

Paul