Author Topic: USS Ling Status  (Read 96024 times)

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
Re: USS Ling Status
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
Anything on this?  Its rolling past 2 years now. The njnm.com site is gone.  :'(  What's the latest word?  Do the remaining Balao's need to rent some trucks and go salvage hunting?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
There is a July 2012 video posted on YouTube of a group that visited the boat.  So, I guess she's still open as a museum.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »
Gang, I posted an article in the general museum boat discussion about the LING museum being closed because of damage from 'superstorm' Sandy.

So, LING is closed until they get some cash.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »
At least she isn't scrapped.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »
The NJNM has a new website at a completely different address. Once I determine if it's the proper new site, I'm going to update all the links here. I don't know what's up with that.

edit:
Old domain that I had listed here was allowed to expire and purchased by China. New domain has been updated here.  It just went from a .com to a .org is all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:54:02 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »
I just spoke with Les at the Ling and here is the latest.  The museum is closed indefinately.  The exhibits are in good shape but the building is not.  Money for repairs has yet to be found.  The Ling itself survived but is listing 20 degrees to Port.  They haven't been able to get to her to blow the water out of the tanks.  Also, when Sandy hit and the surge came through the Ling moved from her "fitted" bottom-mud berth and did not resettle back in place.  They've got some real trouble up there.

Offline Thomas

• Seaman Apprentice
  • USS Slater DE 766 Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
Jim,

Did they have any idea when they might try to deal with the list? If they have not been able to get to her to blow the water out of the tanks, I wonder what else it is that they may find once they can get to her. And any chance of getting a few picutres of her with the current list?

Thank you!

Thomas, Slater Volunteer
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:08:23 PM by Thomas »

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
This is all the info I got from Les. Nada on the pics.

Offline Thomas

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
Ahh, Alright. And it seems the ling is not all that popular with the news seeing how this is the only article I cold find in relation to her current status is. http://www.northjersey.com/community/192432821_Navy_museum_remains_closed__seeks_funding_for_repairs_submarine_Ling_site.html?c=y&page=1

If only we had a ling person on the forums to answer all of our questions  ::)

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 12:48:12 AM »
I'm working on that.  Unfortunately, the Ling's curator does not own a computer so all of the e-mails go unread.  I have talked to Les about a good designee.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:34 AM »
We need to wake Carl up!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:45:28 AM by Lance Dean »

Offline Thomas

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: USS Ling Status (Pictures)
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »
This past Saturday while down in New Jersey visiting Family I taked the dad into stoping by the ling to take a look at her condition.

Pictures - http://s853.photobucket.com/user/qaz14595/library/USS%20Ling%20March%202013

The biggest two things I noticed was

1. Her morring lines - I would have thought they would have alteast made sure they where not so loose they where partly under the water. Another thing that surprised me as you saw in one of the pictures they still have a pile morring line or two that seem to be still mostly buried in silt ext. that eventually I think? seem to be tied somewhere. Along with how there was also what appeared to be a good morring line that seems to be semi-covered in moss growing on it.

2. You had to almost continuously watch where you walked to avoid goose droppings, I wonder just how much of Ling herself is covered in droppings. It also seems like there might be geese living in that area under the main deck (Though I could easily be wrong about that!).

All in all still seems like a fair amount of cleanup still needs to be done!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:54:14 PM by Thomas »

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
The Ling looks a LOT better than I expected and I don't understand why the museum hasn't started clean up and pulling the mooring lines out of the water and opening her back up... WTFO??  FYI that torpedo that is missing the warhead has not been on display in a number of years when obviously the warhead fell off due to lack of maintenance and the locking ring decided to give up the ghost.

Wish I was closer to the Ling because she looks intact and just has a nice up angle on it right now and I wonder if she has water collecting in her ATR and in the lower flats of Manuvering and the Engine rooms, would be nice to put some temp power to her and a large air compressor to blow her stern tanks dry once more and let her refloat herself.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 02:16:12 AM »
If the musem got some money and some more help then the Ling would start to look like the Cod or the torsk :)
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
kbob welcome aboard,

Thank you for the update on the Ling and what an unexpected update hearing that the paper company sold the land.. Hopefully she will find a new home very quickly

Darrin