Author Topic: USS Ling Status  (Read 95892 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: USS Ling Status
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
Here is a more accurate statement regarding the LING's status. No the land has NOT been sold and NO she does not have to move within 30 days.

http://www.bottomgun.com/bbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14839&posts=4#M70893

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I wonder if plans are still underway for having Ling open to the public again?

Offline mtnman

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »
The Ling opened for the season on May 3rd. Now open Sat. & Sun. between 10AM to 4PM.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 07:28:51 AM »
That is GREAT NEWS!!
 :) :) :)

Offline mtnman

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 01:05:12 AM »
FYI The Ling reopens for the season on May 2. Still only on weekends between 10am to 4pm.

Offline mtnman

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »
FYI  The Ling is closed for emergency repairs. Unknown when she reopen.

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Emergency repairs?  Any details?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
All,

Let's hope that it is nothing major and she can be fixed quickly, if anyone has an update as it comes please update the rest of us.

Thanks,

Darrin

Offline Thomas

• Seaman Apprentice
  • USS Slater DE 766 Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »
Well, some sad news from the sounds of it  :-[ It seems this time they have actually been told they have 30 days to vacate... Whole article is here including a video http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/redevelopment-plans-raise-concerns-uss-ling/
The Submarine Memorial Association was given 30 days to vacate the premises with an out date of May 31. That’s standard for a month-to-month lease. But there’s a snag.

De Laat and Les Altschuler say the USS Ling and many of the museum’s artifacts are on loan from the Navy, meaning they can’t be moved without permission.

The Navy is set to visit the site on June 6 to take inventory. The Submarine Memorial Association says it’s highly unlikely they’ll get permission to move items before that May 31 deadline.

“The very real possibility exists that if we cannot present this situation well to the Navy, they may come in and just say, ‘We’re going to eliminate this entire museum and memorial,’” de Laat said.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 12:38:18 AM »
Based on what I've seen, the Ling will be gone before long.  Not before the Clamagore.  Who is next after that? Lionfish maybe.  It's a sad time for museum subs.

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
Lance,
It is sad, indeed... something I never thought I'd see. It's one thing to write about it in an academic sense, but to see the slow spiral in motion and not really be able to do much about it is another.
The Lionfish?? Really?
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline drew

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 10:25:39 PM »
Speaking as a Lionnfish (SS-298) volunteer, I sure hope she isn't the next one to go. And suffer the fate her younger sister her sister the Ling (SS-297) is possibly facing.

I read this website with some envy when I hear about the amazing work done by volunteers to get some of the boats in such great shape that equipment actually operates, like engines that run or periscopes that raise and lower.
We don't have the resources to accomplish anything as impressive as that. There are only 3 volunteers working on the Lionfish. The goal is to make her look good. A proud memorial to the men who served on her.  We do get help where students from the Naval Academy Prep school in Newport, or Massachusetts maritime, or Maine maritime come for a 1/2 day to help us out. And we had two incredibly generous welders from the Groton sub base come for a few days. A plank owner visited her last year and thanked us for taking care of his boat, that made me feel good.

The Cove is typically open 363 days a year. In the 5 years  have been working on the boat it was only closed for one two week period because the brow got broken in a storm, and the visitors could not safely walk onto the boat. 
I think last year over 7000 visitors came aboard on one day, well it was the Cove's free entry day. So the Lionfish is still going strong. Sorta, she is made of metal, is floating in water, and rust and deterioration of the deck is a constant battle.
And it has been a long time since the last drydock "tuneup".

Best wishes to all of us who work hard to keep the boats going.
Drew

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »
Thanks for the update Drew. It's nice to hear Lionfish is doing well!!!

Regards,

Gil

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 11:51:16 PM »
Drew, hang in there with the Lionfish.

Offline mtnman

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
If anyone wishes to know the status of the Ling, look for a copy of Wierd NJ magazine#40 . You'll find an article there.